Is there a fuse on a Samsung SV4000?

The power has completely gone off and it is still plugged in. I cant see any fuse on the back but does anyone know if there is one on the power supply inside please?

I found a page where they SAY they have a service manual to down load at

but where it says NOW DOWNLOADING, nothing seems to download.

I can search on their Samsung page at

but there doesnt seem to be an appropriate one there? Does anyone here know how to navigate their site?

Reply to
myfathersson

Sorry, let me re-phrase that: DOWNLOADING NOW means you have to click on some virtually hidden link two thirds down on the page to download

Doing that downloads something called a .djvu file. which requires installing Nuance Software .pdf reader.

When you do that, it just tells you that it cant open the mysterious

286kb sv4000w.djvu file you have just downloaded!
Reply to
myfathersson

Sorry, let me re-phrase that: DOWNLOADING NOW means you have to click on some virtually hidden link two thirds down on the page to download

Doing that downloads something called a .djvu file. which requires installing Nuance Software .pdf reader.

When you do that, it just tells you that it cant open the mysterious

286kb sv4000w.djvu file you have just downloaded!
Reply to
myfathersson

That's why intelligent people avoid places like eserviceinfo and the dozens of sites that give bogus hits on Google.

Instead, go to Elektrotanya. The site is in Poland, the menus are in both Polish and English. The site sometimes is flaky; as a registered user (registration is free) I have not had problems downloading when using a decent browser (FoxFire). For those who are offended by Polish menues, registration, or Foxfire, I can only say C'est la vie!

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

That's because it's not a .PDF file. You need a DJVU viewer:

Michael A. Terrell

It opened fine with Irfanview - and is a 14 page schematic. Page 8 shows a 2A fuse.

Reply to
Geo

When I installed irfanview to read this file as a stand-alone app in XP, it starts as a DOS box in the screen(??), and OPEN shows the file. But when I tried to open it, all I got was some arcane error message telling me that it cant install plug in from home page!

Could you possibly give me some sort of clue as to where on the various boards I might find this fuse and what it might look like if it doesn't look like an ordinary fuse please? Is it some sort of soldered part on a circuit board which simply needs resoldering when it blows? Or is it an ordinary fuse but underneath something and non- visible? (I have already taken the unit apart and taken the power board off and taken it apart and cant see any fuse)

Reply to
myfathersson

When I installed irfanview to read this file as a stand-alone app in XP, it starts as a DOS box in the screen(??), and OPEN shows the file. But when I tried to open it, all I got was some arcane error message telling me that it cant install plug in from home page!

Could you possibly give me some sort of clue as to where on the various boards I might find this fuse and what it might look like if it doesn't look like an ordinary fuse please? Is it some sort of soldered part on a circuit board which simply needs resoldering when it blows? Or is it an ordinary fuse but underneath something and non- visible? (I have already taken the unit apart and taken the power board off and taken it apart and cant see any fuse)

Reply to
myfathersson

There are no pcb pictures but the schematic shows that the fuse is the very first component in the line from the mains input connector.

Reply to
Geo

Thanks for that, - that was what I thought from p8 but I am not really qualified to read those diagrams so I wanted to be sure

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazov

Nothing wrong with the service from eserviceinfo, it works well if you understand exactly what a link is, how to reassemble multi-part archive files from linked pages, and what a scamming "DOWNLOADING NOW" advertising banner looks like (to avoid).

Of course, if you want everything on a plate ...

--
Adrian C
Reply to

eserviceinfo is unusual and a little hard to figure out with respect to multipart files but I've gotten LOTS of good schematics / manuals there. If I'd have had to buy them it would have cost thousands. I've spent plenty of time just browsing for say, "Pioneer amplifier" or the like. Lots of vintage audio. Good stuff. Did have a corrupted Marantz 1200B manual over there the other day. Law of averages, I suppose.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Thank you for that, it was hidden under a curious flexible opaque plastic cover: Not sure why but I recognised it as soon as you pointed it out to me.

With a whole lot of unscientific playing around with it (the actual fuse itself seems OK and I by-passed it with no particular benefit), I have managed to get the power supply to squeal slightly when turned on and sometimes the power button with the red LED in it flashes a bit when turned on or if actually being pressed while the plug is being plugged in. For a microsecond. Is this symptomatic of a faulty power supply or of some fault elsewhere which shows up when everything draws on the power supply? To me, when the light flashes and goes off almost immediately, it seems that one of the coils within the PS itself is not giving out enough power to even turn the unit on but that is my layman's view? After all, it is turned off when the plug is put in and all that can be drawing on it surely is the LED clock? (There is of course absolutely no hint of a flash from any part of the display when the LED on the power button flashes)

If it is the power supply, then replacement is very simple indeed. Not sure about sourcing it?

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazov

  1. Put the item away,
  2. Flip Burgers for a week,
  3. Buy a new one ...
--
Adrian C
Reply to

The ps is only $34. i only need it to transfer a dozen vhs tapes. it doesnt seem worthwhile buying a whole new multi-system VHS unit IF the PS will cure this particular problem?

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazov

OK Adrian, you were right in principal, I was naive

Samsung list it but don't sell it. I would imagine they sold off their stocks of these VCR parts years ago

I wonder to whom?

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazov