Is there any "market" for old electronics, even for free?

There's an old saying: If it flies or floats, you're better off renting. (sometimes there's a third F mentioned but i disremember what)

Reply to
Tim R

Fingers crossed, 2020 postponed will be on

A regular crew member lives in France and will probably not be able to make it this year...

Reply to
Mike Coon

Very nice. ;-)

Dad had a Leisure 23 in a marina on the East coast of the UK and his mate had a Hurley 27 in the same marina.

I remember as a teenager being hoisted up the mast to change the masthead lamp. Even in the marina the view below me was constantly changing between jetty, deck, marina and back. ;-(

The biggest other thing Dad sailed after coming ashore from the Merchant Navy was a Norfolk Wherry, this one in fact (hired by a bunch of ex Master Mariners). ;-)

Shame.

Safe cruising. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. It seems I've always been into practical stuff as I didn't want to make book-ends or a bathroom cabinet in woodwork at secondary school so build a 6' pram dinghy from plans instead. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Yup. Dad used to say that a boat was 'a hole in the water into which you throw money' but that said, I think they (Mum and Dad) got a lot of value out of most of the boats they had later on, even going down there and just sitting in them, sometimes listening to the radio and drinking tea, or going to the clubhouse for a meal, even if it was stormy outside. ;-)

Our family holidays were often on the Norfolk Broads, either in a chalet or on a houseboat or even on our own boats (pocket / trailable cruisers) with a dinghy for us kids.

One regret could be not going out with Dad more often but I am more of a convenience sailor, wanting to go sailing when I want, not just when the water shows up. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

People into classic gaming do. Harder to come by ones like Sony PVM and BVM models can demand a fair bit of money. Not all CRTs are equal but targeting gamers into that is an easy way to turn one into some amount of $

Reply to
Bradley Bowman

They won't be worth any real money until the day I finally give away or scrap out the last CRT TV I have..

Reply to
ohger1s

Another expression is that two best days of boat ownership is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Reply to
ohger1s

Are you suggesting that our vintage 1999 32" Sony WEGA might be worth something? It followed us back from Saudi Arabia, so it is PAL1, PAL2, SECAM and NTSC, as well as voltage agile from 100 VAC to 240 VAC.

My wife is its only user, maybe I could trade it in for a 40" flat-screen.... they are so cheap these days, even for a 'name brand'. Thoughts?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

It shouldn't be too tough to find somebody who wants any Trinitron/WEGA. I have a 27" from that time frame, US model though. Having PAL/NTSC could be of interest to import collectors. Does that one have an RGB SCART input?

A standard US Trinitron in good condition can get $50-100. SCART would add value to the right buyer on this side of the pond. Some people SCART mod them with varying results, having a proper factory-installed port would be better.

I made a 4 hour round trip a few years ago for a Sony XBR960 (granted, it's a sought after model)...some people contacting that seller lived 5,

6 hours away. There's a PVM listed nearby me right now for $700, which isn't unreasonable.

I would encourage people to at least google the model # before recycling/ tossing.

Reply to
Bradley Bowman

;-)

We have had boats that in hindsight, (change of circumstance) didn't work out as planned and ended up costing lots of money.

For me the biggest example of that wasn't actually a boat but a 486 laptop I bought for around 1000 pounds with loads of idea as to how I was going to get good use out of it. I probably ended up using it no more than 10 times making it 100 pounds per go. ;-(

We haven't used the tandem cycle 'that much' either but for the times we have used it (camping / touring holidays) it has justified the purchase price and because it's dry stored (and with no marina / mooring fees ) will probably recoup most of it's cost when sold.

Cycles don't go out of fashion quite like some electronics. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Maybe having a partner on the back will turn out to be a longer-lasting fashion/niche than e-bikes...

Reply to
Mike Coon

Re: Repair Clinics

.pdf Go to page 7. That is a shot from the September 2018 Kutztown Meet showing me at the repair table. I am fussing with a Hickok 6000 tube teste r for the younger gentleman in front of me. The older gentleman behind me t o the left is an observer. The speaker is sitting on the Iso-Variac (Blue B ox). Hidden behind the speaker are the transmitters for Radio Free Kutztown , and various tools-of-the-trade including a Fluke meter are on my right. Y ou will note an articulated light, a silicon baking pad and that I work ove r an old towel - dropped screws don't bounce on a towel, and a hot solderin g iron makes no impression on a baking pad, nor does hot solder.

Also not shown are the big Hickok 539B tube tester, the signal tracer and g enerator, LCR and ESR meters.

Shows a shot from the actual event announced in the previous article, same lamp, and the tube tester. Same towel, same red baking mat.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

Look up the BT stats. That's where I got the numbers from.

We name it more recognisably.

Mine will do 54 (long way to the cabinet over copper wire) but I pay for 38.

I dunno about new homes here, but I've seen a few people have it retro fitted. I bet when their next door neighbour asks for it, BT has to do f*ck all to join it on, but charge them the same.

Your WiFi access point will transmit at a certain speed, that's shared among all devices. Unless you have two access points on different channels, which is difficult as then neighbours start interfering.

My Satnav does that.

Still waiting for something useful. Your Alexa isn't for a start you lazy bugger.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Commander Kinsey wrote

They say nothing like that.

But you didn't understand that fiber to the cabinet isnt fiber to the home.

But you still couldn't work out that fiber to the cabinet isnt fiber to the home.

I can have 25 but prefer 50 for the higher upload speed,

  1. You only get 5 with a 25 download speed.

You can have 1Gb each way with fiber to the home which lots have.

Nope, they each get that speed.

Mangled again.

Google maps does it much better with you being able to do it by the name of the commercial operation and with real time traffic info as well.

You have got plenty in the past.

Google/nest is much better and you are just plain wrong.

Only a fool switches stuff off when going to bed and on when getting up instead of saying "hey google, goodnight" and "hey google, good morning" and getting the weather forecast as well as the lights done. And don't try claiming that you can just look out the window, I get up in the dark.

Same with the cooking timer for most meals, "hey google, timer 3" sets 3 timers at once. Alexa cant do that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I guess for many an eBike could be just a novelty (especially when they leave the battery to die and go to get a new one) but I have a neighbour who regularly commutes on his eBike and for him it really is an essential tool.

Tandems have their downsides, one big one being car drivers only seeing 'a cycle', going to overtake, find out it's going faster than they thought and then running out of road with a bollard in the middle of the road (often then cutting the tandem up rather than dropping back). ;-(

Ours is more of an off-road tandem and it's generally much more entertaining there. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, for gaming I definitely prefer a CRT. There is something wrong in the LCD refresh or digital processing that makes the difference. Also most CRT PC monitors allow 50Hz refresh for European games. Playing a 50Hz game forced at its right speed by the emulator in a 60Hz LCD is a jerky experience.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

Rush 2049 is a great classic game. PC emulator is great.

Reply to
bruce bowser

Especially at the 1080 frames per second setting.

Reply to
bruce bowser

You must have some video card.

Reply to