Interesting Universal Bridge

Just picked up an interesting universal bridge "RLC 10" on eBay. I cannot find a maker's name anywhere on this. It is similar to an H&B Inkavi and Pontavi combined, but uses transistors to generate the AC test signal and drive a center zero meter. There is no manual with it, just basic instructions on the back in Czechoslovakian, Russian and German. It uses an unusual 3 Volt battery, about 75 mm long and 20 mm diameter or square. It has an AC and a DC test button and a dissipation null control for inductance measurement.

Ranges:

10 mH, 100 mH, 1 H 0.1 Ohm, 1 Ohm, 10 Ohm, 100 Ohm, 1 KOhm, 10 KOhm (DC) 10 Ohm, 100 Ohm, 1 KOhm, 10 KOhm, 100 KOhm (AC) 100 pF, 1 nF, 10 nF, 100 nF, 1 uF

It has a scale from 0.5 to 20 and it can also do comparisons between components and show the deviation from the external standard.

One thing I cannot figure out is how to use the dissipation control since the center zero meter is phase sensitive - goes left to right and you can null the meter at various combinations. Suggestions? Adjust for the lowest or the highest inductance?

NSM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:19:13 GMT, "NSM" put finger to keyboard and composed:

If you can't understand the instructions, try posting a photo of them on your webspace.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I Babelfished them - got the sense of them OK, but they're too brief to cover the full use of this device.

NSM

In German:

BATTERIE 3V BEREICH MESSUNG EINGANGS KAPAZITÄT 6 pF SUBTRAHIEREN MIT WECHSELSTROM DIE INDUKTIVITÄT MIT GLEICHSTROM DIE OHMKOMPONENTE ARBEITEN SIE NACH DER BEILIEGENDEN GEBRAUCHSANWEISUNG ABGLEICH DER OHMKOMPONENTE

In English(-like):

BATTERY 3V. RANGE. MEASUREMENT. INITIALLY CAPACITY 6 pF SUBTRACTING. WITH ALTERNATING CURRENT INDUCTANCE. WITH DIRECT CURRENT THE OHM COMPONENT. WORK AFTER THE ENCLOSED OPERATING INSTRUCTION. ALIGNMENT OF THE OHM COMPONENT.

Reply to
NSM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 22:29:43 GMT, "NSM" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I see what you mean.

Why not experiment with a known inductance and a series resistor, say

0.1 ohm or several of them in parallel? Try different combinations and observe the behaviour of your meter.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I may try that. I have a good digital LCR meter, it's just that I craved a toy like this many years ago and $3 was too good a deal to turn down.

NSM

Puzzling over the instructions I finally tried zeroing the dissipation control with the DC button and measuring the inductance with the AC button. That actually seems to work, although the inductance is about 20% off from my digital meter. However this is an iron cored transformer and perhaps it is a frequency issue.

NSM