Info needed - Teccor Q4003M3 TRIAC

I am replacing an old TRIAC that is used for a solenoid driver driven by a photo-flash (I have dozens of these in my classic rifle gallery) and I can't find anything on line about this particular device.

I know it is 400V, 3A, and is in a TO-11 like metal can however what I can't find is the Gate current. This is a sensitive gate TRIAC and I suspect it is either a 3MA or a 10MA device, but would like a copy of the original TECCOR specs to be sure that the replacement I am using is close enough to the original for long term reliability. This is being controlled by a device called a Vactrol - VTL2C3, and I have several dozen of these controllers that eventually need upgrading.

So, if anyone has a TECCOR Electronics Inc. manual lying around from the early 70s and can scan me the page(s) on the Q4003M3 that would be great. I have found sheets online for other flavours of the Q4003 series, but just not the Mx version.

Thanks!

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

Try this page.

Ralph Mowery

Ah, yes, I had previously found that page. I just trust the manufacturers spec sheets more than a synopsis version. It is probably accurate, but who knows?

Thanks,

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

The Teccor triac part numbering scheme says that the "M" is for a non-isolated TO-218 package. You could just substitute another package type such as the "F" or "R" package and get the same triac in a slightly different package. Looks like the "M" package was discontinued for triacs years ago,

Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Yes, I have tried already a few other sensitive gate TRIACs (2N6073 is close) in place of this one, but none seem to work the same way even when they appear to have similar ratings. The TRIAC is controlled by a LED/Photo-resistor (Vactrol) instead of a LED/Opto DIAC or similar. Appears to be using Quadrant II control where the Vactrol enables the TRIAC via a 12K resistor to M1 where M2 is connected to the load. M1 is tied to the power return/neutral (white) side of the 115VAC power. Here is the PDF circuit:

I have tried subbing a MOC3020 LED-OptoTriac but that didn't work reliably. Basically this circuit works by a CDS cell on the input that reacts to a photoflash strobe in my rifles at the gallery. Problem is this is 1970s tech and they are gradually failing. Recapping helped, but now the opto-couplers are breaking down and my transistor theory is too weak to change this one-shot monostable timer output to trigger something more up to date in TRIAC drivers.

I just need to sit down and spend a couple of hours on this project.

Thanks,

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

Hi,

Electronic Surplus in Ohio has a version available in a different package. I don't know it this helps or not but:

I've found them to be a reliable vendor.

Regards, Tim

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Seems like a triggered one-shot 555 timer circuit would be a natural solution to this problem. Circuit values are easily calculated for the required delay, and the 555 can drive the triac directly or through an optocoupler.

What's the normal ON time for the existing circuit? Do you use only the photocell input or in conjunction with the reed switch input?

Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Dave M wrote:

This is a basic circuit for a 555 monostable. Circuit values easily determined from one-shot requirements.

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

+Vcc | | | AC +--------------+---------------+-------+ +-- | | | | | | | | +-+-+ | +-+-+ +-+-+ | | | +---+ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |R3 | | |MT1 |R1 | | | | | | | +-+-+ | | |R2 | | | | +--------+ | | | | | | | +----+ +-+-+ | | | | | | | | | | | +---+ +--+ | |Triac +-+-+ +-+-+ +----+----+---+ | | | | | | | 4 8 | | Opto | +-+G | | | | | | Triac | | +-+-+ +--------------------+2 | | Driver | | |MT2 | | | | | | | | | | | +-------+ +--+ | | | | | | | | | | | | +--------+ +-- +-+-+ +-----+6 | Load | | | | NE555 | | | | | | | |Photo +-----+7 | | |Cell | | | | | | | | +-+-+ | | | | +-+-+ | | | | | | | --+-- | | | 5 1 | Gnd |C1 | +----+-----+--+ | | | | | | +-+-+ | +-+-+ | | | | |C2 | | | | | | --+-- | | | Gnd +-+-+ | | | | | +-----+ | | --+-- Gnd

Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Oopsie!! Got the 555 output connected the wrong way to the opto driver. Here's = the way it should be:

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

+Vcc | | | +
Reply to
Dave M

Hi Dave,

Yes, a 555 timer would be a more reliable timer for a replacement circuit. The time is anywhere from 1 to five seconds depending on the operation required, which is easy with the 555. And yes, turning the TRIAC on/off rapidly with a reed switch is sometimes needed.

Not sure if the 555 can be reliably triggered via a CDS cell using a strobe flash when there are varying light levels - day/night, and flood lamps - which is the current situation.

Easy enough to test though I may just give up and go with some sort of Arduino replacement system where I can have several devices run by a few Arduinos (I have 60 of these boxes you see) and this would reduce or eliminate false positives that I get when there is a bright flash that lights up the entire area - right now everything fires off if someone takes a flash photo with a camera, but are not set off with a flash photo using a cell phone - LED flashes don't effect CDS cells much it seems.