Identify Galvanometer

I'm trying to find a model number for this Leeds & Northrup galvanometer (pics on alt.binaries.schematics.electronics). It works just fine, but is missing the meter scale. Probably just a printed card located similar to the piece of paper I'm using here.

Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I couldn't find one similar to your photos with Google Image search. Lacking a model number, this is as close as I could get:

The galvanometers that I've seen and owned had a marker at center scale, and not much else. They're not really made to be a calibrated measuring device. They just detect current or voltage in either direction, like a wire over a magnetic compass. You could use a precision voltage source to calibrate the full scale markers and be done with it.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Right. It works pretty well with a slip of paper and a pencil mark. I just wanted to bring it back to something close to original configuration.

Its missing some sort of cradle for the microscope to rest on with the cover closed. Right now, the scope just bangs into a metal plate.

If the first attempt at making a drawing board had been a failure,
what would they go back to?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

If it's a rotating mirror flavor of galvanometer, there usually isn't any calibration markers, just the zero center. Quite a bit of effort goes into making sure that 0 volts = 0 center, but anything else is a crap shoot.

Incidentally, it's called a "telescope" by most of the instrument makers. It looks like it might swivel on the lower end and land on the cardboard card.

This looks like the same telescope:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

That is used for the galvanometer in Figure 26 here:

But I suppose they could call the one I've got a telescope as well, even though it only appears to focus out to 6 inches or so.

Bureaucrat, n.: A person who cuts red tape sideways. -- J. McCabe
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.