ID optocoupler marked Motorola 162 18-8 Q8433 ?

I'm trying to identify what I'm pretty sure is an optocoupler. It's a 6 pin device, pins 3 and 6 are not connected, and pins 1 and 2 are on the low voltage side of a switching P/S while pins 4 and 5 are on the high voltage side. There are actually two of these bridging the hi/lo voltage divide on the circuit board. One is marked with the Motorola symbol and162 18-8 Q8433 The other is marked with the same Motorola symbol and 162-18-0 Q8420. This should be easy, but I can't seem to find any information. Can anyone help me read this. ID the part or locate specs? Thanks for any help!

Reply to
T o d d P a t t i s t

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 08:17:02 -0600, T o d d P a t t i s t Has Frothed:

Try adding an m or mcc or mca to the 162-18-8 or variables of those numbers and search via google.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

I've tried that and I've tried similar searches through some component cross reference search engines and just looking for Motorola optocouplers and opto-isolators that might have similar numbers. No luck so far. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
T o d d P a t t i s t

On 3 Jan 2007 08:17:02 -0600, T o d d P a t t i s t put finger to keyboard and composed:

The Q numbers could be YYWW date codes, in which case I'd be looking at a 1984 Motorola catalogue ... which I just happen to have. The pinout corresponds to "style 3". Possible devices are as follows.

Transistor output with no base connection ----------------------------------------- Devices: TIL118, MOC8111, MOC8112, MOC8113

Darlington output with no base connection ----------------------------------------- Devices: MOC119, TIL119, MOC8030, MOC8020, MOC8050, MOC8021

If you can measure the current transfer ratio, then that should tell you whether you have a Darlington or single transistor type.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Got an old '66 Sylvania opto catalog? J.P.

Reply to
J.P.

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:09:55 GMT, J.P. put finger to keyboard and composed:

Sorry. I still hadn't heard about electronics then.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I believe they are, and that matches up with the date of manufacture.

Thanks!

Reply to
T o d d P a t t i s t

One of my searches showed that Motorola made an MOC-118, so I'll measure current transfer ratio but my first guess is that the 18-8 and 18-0 numbers, which were on separate lines from the other markings, means they are a MOC-118's, corresponding to the TIL 118.

Reply to
T o d d P a t t i s t

On 4 Jan 2007 09:09:02 -0600, T o d d P a t t i s t put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, the difference between the MOC119 and the TIL119 is in their speed, ie 10/50 usec versus 300us. Maybe the 118 parts have similar differences ???

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar