IBM Thinkpad 2656 - media test failure

Hi All,

Hope somebody can help me with this, my IBM laptop was working fine and then all of a sudden gave up booting! I get the following message:

PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable PXE-M0F Exiting Intel PXE ROM Operating system non found

I have two hard disks, and the BIOS settings only show one - the easily removable one, sadly! I guess i need to get in to check the other one - can somebody tell me how, or even if this is advisable?

Any help appreciated, thanks,

Lynne.

Reply to
woohoo

Those messages just mean it tried to boot from the network and couldn't.

It sounds like the main hard drive has failed. Since it's not even detecting it, there's probably not much you can do to revive it. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

You couldget into the BIOS by pressing F1 on boot, then F9 to reset the settings to default, but that is clutching at straws. From experience there's an 80% chance that your primary hard disk is stuffed, and a 20% chance that the system board is stuffed. If it is the hard disk, you do not need to buy an IBM hard disk, but can shop around for larger units such as

20Gb instead of the possibly 10Gb you now have. If it's the system board, then it is quite pricey. In that case I would be considering carefully whether you want to spend the money on such a replacement, unless you can find someone who can repair it.

Henry.

Reply to
hemyd

Thanks guys,

I had kind of suspected it would be the main hard disk. Good news is all my data's on the second one which is still fine, so I can recover my work and then I guess it's off to see if I can find a cheap replacement HD somewhere!

Thanks again for your help,

Lynne.

Reply to
woohoo