Problem regrading EP405, PCI and IRQ

Hi, Currently, I am using Embedded Planet's EP405 development board. I would like to use a USB device with it, but there is no USB connection on the EP405 board. So I connect a PCI to PC104-plus adapter to the EP405, then connnect a PCI to USB 2.0 card. But right now the USB driver is complain about it can't not get a irq.

I have tried to move the jumper on the adapter to different setting, but there is no use. Also, I have changed the register on the EP405 board to the appropriate setting, like enable local PCI IRQ controller and changed the PCI (INTA compliment) to enable. But it still not working.

Have anyone does anything similar to this or can give me hint or pointer? I am running out of idea.

The following is the info and the bootup log

kernel version : 2.4.23-pre5 download from

USB 2.0 board is using VIA chipset the PCI to PC104-plus adapter is Sensoray's Model 328.

PCI: Probing PCI hardware isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards... isapnp: No Plug & Play device found Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4 Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039 Initializing RT netlink socket Starting kswapd devfs: v1.12c (20020818) Richard Gooch ( snipped-for-privacy@atnf.csiro.au) devfs: devfs_debug: 0x0 devfs: boot_options: 0x1 i2c-core.o: i2c core module pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled ttyS00 at 0xef600300 (irq = 0) is a 16550A ttyS01 at 0xef600400 (irq = 1) is a 16550A Generic RTC Driver v1.07 RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize loop: loaded (max 8 devices) emac: IBM OCP EMAC Ethernet driver, version 2.0 Maintained by Benjamin Herrenschmidt mal0: Initialized, 2 tx channels, 1 rx channels eth0: IBM emac, MAC 00:10:ec:00:2f:81 eth0: Found Generic MII PHY (0x00) SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00 kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2 kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2 usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs usb.c: registered new driver hub hcd.c: Found HC with no IRQ. Check BIOS/PCI 00:0a.2 setup! host/usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 18:49:57 Sep 16 2003 host/usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled host/usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver host/usb-ohci.c: found OHCI device with no IRQ assigned. check BIOS settings! host/usb-ohci.c: found OHCI device with no IRQ assigned. check BIOS settings! usb.c: registered new driver hiddev usb.c: registered new driver hid hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers Initializing USB Mass Storage driver... usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage USB Mass Storage support registered.

The following is the info I got from /proc after it boots up.

PCI devices found: Bus 0, device 10, function 0: USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 65). Master Capable. Latency=128. Min Gnt=1.Max Lat=42. Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbffff000 [0xbfffffff]. Bus 0, device 10, function 1: USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (#2) (rev 65). Master Capable. Latency=128. Min Gnt=1.Max Lat=42. Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbfffe000 [0xbfffefff]. Bus 0, device 10, function 2: USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 2). Master Capable. Latency=128. Min Gnt=16.Max Lat=34. Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xbfffdf00 [0xbfffdfff].

and the following is the info I get after I mount the usbfs and look at the driver file usbdevfs hub 96-111: hiddev hid usb-storage

Thank you very much

Shih-Ying Chou

Reply to
Shih-Ying Chou

Who does the PCI interrupt routing setup? Your kernel or your firmware? Maybe your firmware/kernel can't handle interrupt assignment for cards connected to the pc104plus connector.

If you know which pc104plus interrupt pin is connected to which interrupt input at you PPC405GP cpu you can do it by your own: Change the table in your platform specific (arch/ppc/platforms/) function ppc405_map_irq() -> pci_irq_table[][]. This function is called in my kernel to setup a correct PCI interrupt routing at kernel startup.

Hope it helps

--
Juergen Beisert        email: jbeisert _AT_ eurodsn _DOT_ de
EuroDesign embedded technologies GmbH  http://www.eurodsn.de