IBM RISC 6000 Server Type 7009 worth anything?

I have a IBM RISC 6000 type 7009 server from a grocery store. It doesn't have a video card but it has an etherenet card a floppy drive, 2 hdd's, it is full of memory sims, it has what I think is a token ring card with a db9 connector and it has 2 weird serial cards in it which have a block which splits it into 15 db25 serial ports.

I have all sorts of db25 cables to go with it also, from 5 - 50 ft cables.

- Mike

Mikek400*comcast.net Replace * with @

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

POS terminal connections.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

The IBM RS6000 (and IBM RT before that) have been around a long time. These machines usually ran AIX IBM's version of UNIX), but some ran Linux (Red Hat) more recently. The RS6000 in a grocery store setting -- serves as the database server (e.g. UPC bar codes, prices, current inventory, items sold during day) for the store - communications controller to the store chain's central computers and checkout lanes (serial cable). The 2 HDDs may have been in a RAID configuration

Could be useful - for a Linux savvy user - but there are number other alternatives for Linux servers.

gb

Reply to
gb

Okay, that sounds like a good explanation of what it did, but why were all of the network connections to the cash registers token ring type 1 connectors. They were all plugged into a hub which went to 2 Pentium 3 netfinity servers. The netfinity servers had the IBM POS system on them for controling the cash registers. One server was just a backup (as far as I know)and the other was for for any cash operations. They both had identical software on them and could both peform the same things.

What I can't believe is how much they wanted for the netfinity servers. $500 each! You can buy one on ebay for $150 easy.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

db9

Probably has no real $ value, but there's plenty of people out there who collect this sort of thing for fun and would take it off your hands. Post your location and see what happens, it's gonna be prohibitively expensive to ship it anywhere.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well Token Ring was the IBM corporate network solution (and still is in some areas) for almost 20 years. The MAU or TR hub then worked just like an other network hub. A second (backup) server is very likely -- who wants to shutdown a retail store because the POS server is down !! (Actually happen in 1980s with some penny pincher buyers or procurement offices) -- after first hardware failure -- many were looking for new work.

Within the retail world - they likely can petal this as used retail POS equipment and command a premium (especially if the OS is still loaded) - remember that the users/businesses are largely non-tech oriented - its a black "mystery" box.

gb

gb

Reply to
gb

It is funny you mention having to shut down a store becuase of server crash. I used to work at this store and that is exactly what happened regularly becuase trying to run too much software on sh** equipment. They decided to start having customer "reward" cards and thats where the problems began.

If you worked too fast you would get the dreaded system buisy on the ibm cash registers. If you hit any key on the keyboard it just make it stay locked up longer. Some times it would require you to reboot and reload the software on the register before it would start working again. That would kill 2 registers becuase they were tied togeather in a master / slave setup and it slowed everything else down also because the server would be buisy sending the software to the crashed register.

Oh I don't miss the problems of Winn-Dixie's cash registers. Too many headaches, and it was company wide problem.

-Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "gb" Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 5:17 PM Subject: Re: IBM RISC 6000 Server Type 7009 worth anything?

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Well I'm in the Orlando FL area, but it doesn't weign that much. I guess it might be kinda expensive to ship though.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy