IBM PC isplay

anyone know if there is a device to convert old RT to LCD display?

Reply to
Tom Terlizzi

If it's std VGA...PnP!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

If CGA or EGA look for "CGA/EGA to VGA converter" on eBay.

There is a quality difference of course, so you will have to choose wisely.

John :-#)#

-- (Please post followups or tech enquiries to the newsgroup) John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call (604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)

John Robertson

I assume you are talking about an IBM RISC 6000 and not a "real PC".

In that case it should have a 13W3 connector for the display. This looks like a DB-25 connector with 3 large pins and a few small ones on the side.

Back when I was using such things on SUN computers, I had a VGA cable, one with a 13W3 on one end and a VGA plug on the other. The problem with using them on an LCD is where the SYNC signals are.

Some computers of that vintage had separate SYNC connections, some put the SYNC pulses on the GREEN line. You have to make sure of what the computer is putting out, and get an appropriate monitor.

There are LCDs with SYNC ON GREEN, you can find them if you look for them.

There are also monitors with BNC connectors (separate jacks for RED, GREEN, BLUE and SYNC) and I expect that your current monitor uses one. You should be able to find an LCD monitor that has BNC connectors, supports the resoution you need and so on, but it won't be an off the shelf item at Wal-Mart.

Note that these computers had very limited choices in the resolutions supported and they were designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio. This may complicate the choice of monitor.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(