I found a great deal for solderwick on Ebay

100 five foot rolls of Hexacon Hex-Wick W75-5 solder Wick for $30 plus shipping. I bought one lot, and it came to $36 total. He has four lots left, out of 11. That should be enough for the rest of my life. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That stuff does have a finite shelf life so keep it bottled as best you can.

Reply to
jurb6006

I use it with the NASA approved wet wicking method, so it never goes bad.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Is that explained on wicky-pedia?

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

bad. "

I Googld that and got this :

Of ocurse for people to do it by the book there ust be a book so this makes sense. But DE-soldering ? they had to wirte a book on that ? I'd like to s ee it. Google failed me.

When I was a teenager they were trying to recruit me. I took a pre-ASVAB (s p I think...) and they told me I could tsst into an E something because of electronic abilities. I didn't, but one day I am riding with one of the rec ruiters for some reason and I get into the car I see a sign on the glovebox , dashboard whatever says "THIS VEHICLE SHALL NOT bE PLACED INTO MOTION UNE SS ALL OCCUPANTS ARE WEARINGG SEAT BELTS". I asked the guy "What's that mea n it won't satart or it won't go into gesr ?". Hw said "No, that's just the y way they talk".

So concirvable in about 1977 I could have joined up, and then soon be court martialed for not wearing a seat belt. OK.

You know, thinking back, in 1977 or thereabouts, they were about geting out of Nam and all. If I joined I probably would have not had to worry about a gent orange and shit. Maybe go to Germany or something.

As much as I thoroughly detest how this country's military is misused for t he profiteers, it does help some people achieve a self discipline which is desirable. Would be better without the brainwashing but what would kids get on the street ? Oh, what I got. I got an education in all kinds of shit li ke recreational drugs, ganging around and all that goes with that.

I'm not making excuses for not being a little closer to perfect, I am so fa r it is ridiculous, and I think I am bettert han many but I can see I oculd have been better. And that might have been what would do it for me. Hell g ivem four years and if nothing else work for the post office.

Hear the one about the vet at the post office looking for a job ? Interview er asks "You were in the military ?" guy says "Yes". He asks "Were you inju red ?" guy says "Yes". "What happened ?". Apppicant says "Well there was an explosion and it blew my balls off". "You're hired, we start at nine in th e morning, see you at ten". The new employees says "You just said we start at nine, why do I come in at ten ?".

"Well, for the first hour we stand around and scratch our balls, you can sk ip that".

Reply to
jurb6006

Do you really need an explanation?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You dip the end of the copper braid, into RMA liquid rosin flux just enough to wet it. You can use either copper braid with or without dry flux. Then you use it like you would the dry wick. The advantage is that it works faster and with less heat transfer to the board. The other part of the process is that when you trim away the used wick, you leave a spot with solder that is about half the length of the braid's width. This gives you a smaller spot to start the heat transfer, which also reduces the time needed to do the job. Together, they greatly reduce the damage to a PC board.

I've seen too many people use a spot every inch or so, then complain that the wick has gone bad. The more you flex it, the more dry flux turns to dust and is lost.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Did you really need a smiley?

Mike.