HP case on/off switch - sticky

Anyone here have any good ideas to repair a HP computer case ON/OFF switch? On start up, it seems to get stuck behind the lip of the front panel, turning the computer OFF after a few seconds. It only started doing this after two years of use. A thin letter opener freeing the switch *quickly* does stop the shutdown. Thanks.

Reply to
UCLAN

Remove the front panel, enlarge the hole slightly, replace panel.

May result in slight cosmetic defects and could affect the "at auction" price estimate in the year 2212 version of Antiques Road Show. "A pity, but somebody drilled out this front panel slightly. Would have been worth 23,500 newbuks to a collector but I'm afraid, in this condition, only perhaps 2,000."

Could also be possible to shim the switch outwards, or brace it so that it doesn't depress below its opening. Your heirs will thank you. ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Nope. Without a model number, I can't tell what style of switch you're trying to fix.

Don't pry on it with the letter opener. Tear apart the front panel and clean out the dirt, dust, sand, hair, fur, food, crud, etc that's between the plastic switch plunger and the case. Sometimes the tiny push button switch behind the plastic button gets encrusted with crud and becomes sticky. HP has disassembly instructions on their web pile. However, without a model number, you're on your own.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks. I was thinking of a fine file or Emory board on the edges of the

1" square opening. Now...to get the front panel off. :(
Reply to
UCLAN

Don't have a model number. It was built by a third party using mainly HP parts. Belarc reports HP Pavilion 061 PL308AA-ABA a735w 0nB1211RE101KELUT00 It's got about a 1" square opening for the switch, which turns blue upon power on.

Looked but could not find. Pile is a good description. Got a link? You sayin' I can blame the cat for this? ;)

Reply to
UCLAN