HP C5280 3 in 1, no more scan...

Hey everybody,

i've a problem when scanning/copying with my HP C5280. The lamp is turned on, it moves, but the result is grey... I have not found on internet (or badly searched) the principle of this lamp's power supply with i think, 3 color leds inside.... It seems to be a widespread issue concerning scanners, can somebody give me some tips about the way it is working ?

Thanks in advance.

xcuse for my approximate english :o(

Reply to
Bernard

Install the latest drivers.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist!  I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!

Le 17/11/2010 21:40, :

Sorry,

drivers are up to date (from HP support site...) i'm quite sure it's an issue with the lamp and more accurately power supply of that lamp, so i need schematics of a basic scanner lamp power supply to go further in my knowledge

Thanks however, for the quick answer

Reply to
Bernard

The lamp is suspect before the power supply. It is a CCFL, similar to those in LCD monitors & TVs. The first sign of a CCFL bad power supply is usually no output.

You're welcome. I may have one for parts, but I would have to look for it. It looks familiar, but I'm not sure, and I have over 100 boneyard printers right now.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist!  I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If the lamp (led indirect exposure) seems to illuminate normally then the image pickup (CCD) is bad or it has no source voltage. Probably something you'll need some service literature to further troubleshoot.

Meat Plow

Le 17/11/2010 22:08, :

I firstly thought about a lamp issue, but i don't see how to be sure of that... so my idea was to check voltages... but i have no idea of what i have to find... I only known it's based on 3 colors, are those 3 colors leds building the whole lamp and is the power supply common for those 3 colors??? 'cause it seems strange not to have at least one or two color(s) and a shape resulting of my scan... but may be am i... "à coté de la plaque" (in french ;o)) don't known how to say that in english... (may be out of ...something....)

Reply to
Bernard

my searches are going on... thanks... i'll try to give you feedback about this experience

Reply to
Bernard

Wrong choice of TWAIN driver. HP usually supplies 2 or 3, some of which produce rather bizarre results. I've also seen all gray photos when the scanner software settings are mangled, such set to 1 bit B&W gray scale scanning. If it were all black, or all white, I might suspect a hardware problem, but gray requires that the imager is working.

I think it's a CCFL tube, but I'm not sure. If you see white light, it's working.

Huh? I couldn't find any references to that specific problem.

Move the scanner to another computer. Install only the HP scanner driver, not the entire mess of useless paint and photo album software. Try again.

If that fixes the problem, uninstall the HP software completely. Then use Windoze Installer Cleanup Tool to remove the settings from the registry:

Note that this is allegedly a dangerous tool that was withdrawn by Microsoft. I've used it about 30 times on 30 different systems and only experienced a problem when I tried to use it to clean up the mess left by uninstalling the various dot.Net mutations.

Vous parlez mieux l'anglais que moi le français.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Have you ever used Revo Uninstaller?

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist!  I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, I've never tried it (or needed it). It's also licensed by the computer, which is useless for a service shop.

When I have a program that won't uninstall, it's often possible to re-install the program from original media (or latest version from their web site), reboot, and then uninstall it. That usually takes care of any registry damage. Many programs have a brute force installed available from the vendor. All the virus scanning programs have these because the damage caused by a virus attempting to trash the virus scanner usually affects the ability to uninstall and reinstall. If I have a major registry problem, I use a variety of registry cleaners, and a few cheap registry editors. Manual editing is not fun, but I've had good luck with it if the automatic tools fail.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

There is a free version as well. Install it, run it then uninstall it before returning the computer. I've had several new HP printer installs go south. Revo fixed them. AdAware trashed during an update. The built in uninstaller didn't work, but Revo did. The paid version will do a complete scan of the registry to remove traces of everything that has been removed from a computer, no matter when it was removed.

I've cleaned more registry files by hand than I care to think about. Like removing VNC software and network drives that no longer exist. :(

I have also changed the displayed name of IE and other programs when some know it all isn't looking. ;-)

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist!  I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hi,

in fact, i encounter the problem even when i try a copy in standalone mode, what makes me think it is a scanner problem...

Reply to
Bernard