how to wash electro-static air cleaner

I have a electro-static air cleaner. This electrical system init is inside the air-condition/heater air duct. This system has a removable electro-static charged plates in the air flow.

In time, these plates are coated with dirt. I can wipe it off using a Q-tip. But these fins are too narrow gaps to wash. I tried Windex and did not do much. Is there a good way to wash off these dust & dirt?

Reply to
AJackson

"AJackson" wrote in news:468e8678$0$2096$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.nntpserver.com:

will it fit in your auto dishwasher? that will degrease it nicely.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hi...

That's what the manufacturer suggested for mine; but I found the idea to be at best a bit unappetizing...

Far better, for me at least, was to hose it down vigorously in the driveway.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Your choice, but you breathe whatever crud is on it.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Probably the dust contains quite a bit of polonium etc. like the dust that sticks to TV screens. If you wipe down a recently used TV and try it with a geiger counter, it's quite interesting. I think it comes from the decay products of radon. If the dust is left for a few days then it is no longer noticeably radioactive.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

The brand: White Rogers, Electro-Air Super Slim Twin, Electo-Air Cleaner. Model: SST. Model # 20C26S-01002.

We tried: Dishwasher, windex, 409, hosing it down, garden hose, -- not effective.

It still has lots of continous spark when the air-conditioner is running.

Reply to
AJackson

Either the dirt is not on the plates, but elsewhere in the device, or else you've bent one or more of the plates.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

When it sticks to it, it does not come off to breath.

Especially smoke particles are best taken off by spraying with a harsh cleaner like Castrol Superclean or Greased Lightning. Spray it on, let soak, and wash it off. repeat if necessary. Large dust particles should first be driven off with an outside air gun or water hose.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I have tried to measure with hand counters and can no get anything to register. You really need a long term monitor to measure very small traces. While I have not actually tried the TV, I have tried carbon filters.

There might be a film or discoloring or corrosion on the plates which will only slighty affect performance.

greg

Reply to
GregS

A good dishwasher (makes and) uses 180F water, a strong chlorine- bleach/phosphorous-based detergent and considerable heat to dry. It also will accept and clean (properly) unrinsed plates complete with pasta-sauce and small bits of food, fine china and so forth. I am not so sure which is less appetizing: congealed food, grease and gravy or dust and oils taken out of the air that... coincidentally.... we also breath. Either way, the actual quantities involved inside that filter are in the milligrams vs. the many grams on a single dinner plate.

The dishwasher (if a good one) is the way to go. You just might be shocked and amazed at what has gone through our unit, with uniformly good results.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

If the assembly is plastic, I would be carefull with heat.

You can also cook fish in the dishwasher.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Top rack.

One "steams" fish in a dishwasher. Cooking it is hardly the correct term. Bluefish does very nicely that way but I still prefer a traditional steamer....

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

snipped-for-privacy@pitt.edu (GregS) wrote in news:f6taui$op1$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu:

Auto dishwasher detergent is superb at removing grease. Perhaps the detergent the OP used left a anti-spotting film and that's why the filter arcs.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

snipped-for-privacy@pitt.edu (GregS) wrote in news:f6tmni$rq1$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu:

I never use the dryer built into the dishwasher. for electronics,I use a temp-controlled drying oven.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

We have a unit that does not have an exposed drying element but uses hot air blown across an internal coil. So it is far more gentle on plastics than otherwise.I have put motors, circuit boards and all sorts of stuff through with no harm or residue. The most impressive 'clean' is when we put the grease-catching filters from the exhaust hood through, although the hot-tub filters are a close second.

I would not use an exposed-element DW to dry anything electronic as you suggest.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

and

off with

I found Simple Green, used full strength, to be great at melting off the nicotine film on stuff.

--
Postulate a group whose intent is to destroy the United States from within
via anarchy and bankruptcy. The actions of the United States Congress are

First time I heard that the filter arcs.

If it arcs long, carbon traces can form, and that would be hard to clean up.

greg

Reply to
GregS

The entire assembly is metal. I think all the internal fins are aluminum or tin?

Reply to
AJackson

OK. Look and check, no broken wires or bent plates. However, inside the fins are coated with blackened dust. Unable to wash the dirt off inside. The wires are too thin to reach inside.

Reply to
AJackson

No, cannot close the Electro-Air Cleaner lid which plug the unit into AC power.

Reply to
AJackson