How To Quiet PC Power Supply--Not a Fan Problem

I have an Enlight 350W power supply that has been doing a fine job for several years. In fact, it is still doing a good job but has recently developed a high-pitched whining noise. It is not the cooling fan. I opened up the supply, and the noise seems to eminate from a section containing some good-sized toroidal transformers. There are a couple of power transistors on large heat sinks nearby as well, so I don't know which component is the noise source. Anyone have any ideas on how to repair this problem? I was thinking of squirting a bunch of high temp silicone all over the components, but thought that might not be good because it might cause the components to heat up too much. I have a new ps on the way, but would be interested in hearing theories on how to fix this one.

RD

Reply to
RD

A carefully placed, non-conducting rod (a thick wooden stick will work) gently pressed on the PS's components one at a time should find the problem. More than likely it's one of the toroids. Put a small dab of silicone at the base where it meets the board.

Reply to
<nospam

for

opened

containing some

transistors on

the

was

components,

components to

in

windings on a core are not tightly wound or held to the core with a dampening compound. Also, in a ferrite transformer using E-I or similar cores, unless the segments are properly fixed or glued together the interface joints will allow minute movement at the resonant frequency of the SMPS thus resulting in squeal. The only solution is to remove the transformer and heat it to soften any adhesive and then take the core apart, clean the faces and then re-assemble under pressure using a good quality cyanoacrylate (superglue).

Reply to
Ross Herbert

squeal. The only

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I know I rebuilt a transformer using shellac, but I think there is better stuff out there. Shellac also absorbs water when just setting around. It might initially dry quicker than a varnish.

greg

Reply to
GregS