how I can test vacume tube yd1173( terriode)

hi I try to test this big tube I didn't find any information or a simple test circuit to test this yd1173

any help please because it is very important to my job future

plz plz plz plz...............

yar

Reply to
st_yar

Travis Jordan

Once you have the pinout of the tube, just test it in circuit. Like with a transistor, emitter and base waveforms give you and idea of what should be on the collector. With tubes the waveforms on the grid and cathode give you an idea what should be on the plate.

Be on watch for those inductive loads, they can trip you up a bit. If you're going to work on equipment with tubes, I suggest you get a 100:1 scope probe.

Also be aware of screen grids, if it's not a triode, lack of bias on the screen can make the tube appear to have low or no emission. Think of a tetrode or pentode as a dual gate depletion mode N channel FET. A high voltage FET. (usually)

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

Now that I've checked it out, if you got supply and grid/cathode drive and no output, it's bad.

Forget the 100:1 scope probe.

At first I didn't know this was a transmitting tube.

I was talking about telling if it's bad in circuit, which is good to do. It's better than having a tester for each part.

Sorry that I wasn't directly responsive to your question. The only help I can give you is; you need to find a way to see if the proper voltage and drive is being applied to the tube. Luckily this is only a triode. When cathode is too positive with respect to grid, tube does not conduct. When the negativity of the grid with respect to the cathode is not sufficient, the tube conducts.

Some of these circuits ground the plate of the tube at the heatsink which means they will be using a negative supply, that is, a positive ground. Instead of the 100:1 scope probe you might be better off with a self contained HV probe, but you rewire the meter movement so it reads negative voltage.

Alternately if you get a multiplier for your DVM, it shouldn't have a problem with negative voltage.

Whatever this job is I think you can expect some high negative voltages, if they only had one of these things they would call in a contractor.

Best of luck, and I hope you got something out of my ramblings.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly