Horizontal Convergence Varies from Side to Side

I just received a second-hand 19" KDS Avitron flat screen monitor through FreeCycleSeattle.

The convergence is out of whack, so that if the right side of the screen is sharp, the left is way off. And vice versa. So, for now I've settled on converging the center.

But it is very annoying to have both sides of the huge screen looking out of focus, so I'm wondering if there might not be some controls inside the case that can adjust the "spread" of each of the colors.

I've never looked inside a monitor before, and so will need some help and advice, starting with how to get the back of the case off. I can't find any visible screws. I've also heard you can get a nasty shock if you touch the wrong part.

So, my first question is, do you think a novice should attempt such an adjustment? The woman who gave me the monitor was kind enough to offer to take it back if it didn't work out for me.

Other than the convergence problem, the image looks great; bright and crisp in the center. If I could get that quality all across the screen I would be very happy with this monitor.

I'm a disabled senior with chronic health problems, the treatment for which eats up my tiny SS check, so I can't afford to take the monitor into a repair shop, much less buy a new one to replace it.

Reply to
spamless_in_seattle

Convergence problems from what you are describing can be from worn parts in the scan circuits, or from the CRT mask going defective. Also, there are fault conditions with the deflection yoke that can cause convergence errors. Proper troubleshooting would be required by an experienced monitor technician to determine the failed components.

The cost would not be really worth it on the monitor you have. Also, the manufacture will not give out any service information, or sell the parts to a non factory authorized service centre.

--

Jerry G. ======

[...]

Jerry G.