High pitch noise from PSU - not all the time

I have a new PC and it comes with a high pitch noise ! but it does not occur all the time. When I power up, I get the noise (more often than not). But if I reset the PC a few times, it will go away. But sometimes, when I power up, I don't get the noise. So it's not permanent.

Would like to hear from you what could be wrong ? Thanks.

Reply to
dingdongdingding

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (known to some as snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) scribed...

Some off-the-shelf no-name PC's (and even some of the name brands) come with poor-quality switching supplies. Such supplies can be audibly noisy, and the pitch can change as the load on the supply does.

If you truly suspect your power supply is the culprit, and it is a standard ATX or whatever the current form factor is, you would do well to invest some $$ (expect around $100 or so) in a better supply from a reputable maker.

I've had outstanding results with supplies from PC Power and Cooling

Another good name is Astec (hard to find, but great stuff).

Happy hunting.

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

bad Fan ?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

What make and model? Is it still under warranty? Have you listened to another similar computer before you bought this one?

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Take it back and get another.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Without a better description of "high pitch noise" it could be anything. Where is the noise coming from? (Please don't respond "the computer.") Do you hear it from the speakers? Is it coming from the fan vents in the power supply? Does it sound mechanical in nature - like a metal on metal noise - or is it a high pitched squeal that changes pitch or volume before it disappears?

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Quite likely to be the ferrite cores in the PSU 'singing' as a result of magnetostriction.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How do you solve this? Will a coat of varnish stop them from singing? I have a psu that sings in the 14-16khz range when it is on standby.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

The first thing you have to do is find the exact source of the noise. A piece of small flexible plastic tubing will help. Put one end in your ear, and use the other to probe the inductors and other components to determine which is causing the problem. Depending on what you find will determine the next steps.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I guess the question was more out of curiosity rather than actually reparing it. It will probably be months before I have time to mess with that psu.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

At least you know where to start! :-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
dingdongdingding

a/t bluefeathertech d-o=t calm

Reply to
dingdongdingding

Not the speakers.

Yes. It seems to be loudest from the fan vents of the PSU. I didn't open the case to check though. I will do it tonight.

No.. it's like those old TV high pitch but not so high and loud. definitely not mechanical. It does not disappear on its own. It start when I boot up ... when I press the on button on the PC front. Sometimes, it does not come. But when it does (which is more often than not), I have to press the on button or the reset button or Ctrl- Alt-Del to restart the computer. Sometimes, it goes away with 1 reset. Sometimes, after 2 or 3. But it does go away.

If the first time, I boot up and the noise does not come, it will not come during the whole session when the PC is boot up.

But sometimes, when I first boot up, there is no noise.

Thanks.

Reply to
dingdongdingding

What is that ? How to solve ? Thanks.

Reply to
dingdongdingding

Once you get a noisy one it seems to require replacement. The varnish might do it if it was a vacuum varnish process !

Some ferrites also 'hiss' btw due to controller chip behaviour AIUI.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Not easy to solve. It may be a design issue. It might be a slightly duff batch of ferrite.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

This thread is getting silly. You just bought the machine. It is under warranty. If you are unhappy, take it back.

Reply to
Vey

This is a DIY after 7 days. Have to do own troubleshooting. Can't just return the whole machine. Please see things from other's perspective.

Anyway, I change the PSU and still have the same problem. I then change the Motherboard and it seems like the problem is solved.

Reply to
dingdongdingding