help, voltage problms abroad

i forgot to switch to 230v when plugging in my american desktop in france, there was a pop, and now it wont start. did i completely break it or is there a circuit breaker or something i can fix

Reply to
alexeiofnewark

Is the power supply in the desktop, or does it use a wallwart (probably not)?

H. R. Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

its in the desktop, do i need a new one or can they be fixed?

Reply to
alexeiofnewark

99% of the time, it's cheaper and easier to replace the power supply.

Some computers use special power supplies and you can only get them from the manufacturer. These are more expensive and harder to get.

I've fixed a few of them by opening them up, looking for blown fuses, and capacitors that have "exploded". If coils have melted, or transistors have burnt out, it's probably not worth it. Also check for diodes and resistors that are burnt or shorted.

One had an MOV (metal oxide varistor) used as a surce protector which exploded and burnt out a fuse. I removed the MOV and replaced the fuse.

I had really good luck with a Sony (original) Playstation. It just needed a new fuse.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

Just replace the power supply, it's not really worth trying to fix it.

Reply to
James Sweet

The power supply should have a sticker somewhere with the manufacturers information, also what outputs (typically 5 and 12 V), and what current (amperes) it is capable of supplying. Anything that has the same connectors and voltages and currents should be ok, mounting screws and connectors will be the biggest problem.

H, R, Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

All the desktop PSUs I've seen have an internal fuse inside. I think it would be necessary for UL listing. Sometimes though it's a "wire-ended" type and can only be replaced with the use of a soldering iron. I do remember once replacing a "wire-ended" one with a standard plug-in one by fitting a fuse-holder, the PCB was layed out for both. You could well find wording like "for continued protection against fire replace only with the specified fuse" and also the fuse rating silk screened onto the PCB. Standard ATX PSU's are cheap and readily available and there must be millions of serviceable ones thrown away in PCs deemed "out of date" because their beige colour didn't match the décor. An empty case with a PSU in it costs little more than a PSU alone, and you could have one in a pretty colour too. You could probably get a PSU with a universal input voltage range (100Vac to 240Vac) (or even AC/DC) these days and not have to worry about making the same mistake again!

--
Neil J. Harris
Reply to

Go to a few computer stores and ask if they carry your brand of computer. Tell them you need a new power supply (with France's input voltage settings!). If it is for the same make/model, it should have all the same connectors and be a fairly straightforward install. If all you can find is a "generic" power supply (you must match the watts rating on your old power supply to the new one -- sometimes it is stated like "200W"), it should be a no more than a bit of a small puzzle to make it work for someone with basic computer/electronic skills (I'm sure you know *someone*).

Good luck, FBt

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester