Help, gateway solo 5300 overheated and now displays lines

The laptop overheated yesterday and when I finally got to it I saw the pattern that is in this photo , I am u

I am using it at the moment with an external monitor, so it's obviosly not the video card, I suspect most likely it is the mainboard component that connects to the drake that connects to the LCD and if that's the case then the mainboard will have to be replaced, or could it be the LCD itself?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reply to
natl

For the LCD display there is a display matrix circuit. This is usualy an intergal part of the mother board, or is part of the display panel itself. You should get in touch with the Gateway tech support and find out what you need. Most likely they may not sell the parts to you, but will ask you to ship them the computer for them to service it, or they will send you to their authorised rep.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

No ... i had the same problem with one i repaired and it was a bad cable .. and IF that doesnt fix it , then your lcd is bad ... ive never seen a bad vid board or motherboard cause this on the gateways ...

take care ..

Reply to
bloggybob

also let me add .. ebay is where i get all my parts for laptops ... you can get a cable there and if in fact you do need the lcd , the numbers on the back of the lcd itself is what you would search for on ebay as they use many different screens in these models ...

regards .. bob

..

Reply to
bloggybob

If you are talking about what is known as a "drake" the cable that connects the LCD to the mainboard, then I just replaced one with one I bought on where else, but Ebay, I don't think it's the drake since there is a signal going to the LCD and it lights up, I'm more inclined to suspect a component on the mainboard or the LCD itself, I can always find parts on Ebay, but the problem is to know which part I need of course.

Thanks

Reply to
natl

Forgot to mention that before it overheated it was going from bright white to normal, which it still does go from bright white to the line patterns, but I don't think the issues are related, but who knows?

Reply to
natl

ahhh .. ok then i know for sure 100 percent that it is a bad lcd ... replace the lcd and you will be smiling on that gateway again .... the circuit board on the back is failing and you cant replace it .. it is built with the lcd attached ...

regards

Reply to
bloggybob

Well I sure hope you are right, because I certainly don't need two LCDs.

Reply to
natl