Hella LED switches

Is wiring a Hella/Amazon switch to light power on to ground possible without using a relay ?

Reply to
avagadro7

What's the current rating of the switch, and the voltage & power of the lighting?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ahno, the switch has an LED lighting when the switch circuit routes power from supply to powered unit. Switch feeds power to ground and thru the LED.

my experience at NOT using a relay connected to the powered unit wire as the final activator...is negative. NOT using a relay but activating the powered unit does not light the LED. Wiring Lighting the LED does not power the unit.

there are schematics: goo.gl/1ZuTXR

reason I ask, possibly again, is I had a new wiring light the switch ( without a relay) .... but finding switch was activating a relay inside the powered unit.

leaving a mystery circuit.

Reply to
avagadro7

I believe the question is still, "how long is a piece of string?" Do you have any specs on the light unit? I assume it has three connections, ground, power and switch?

--

Rick C
Reply to

If you recover the ability to communicate your circuit, I daresay I could then help.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

IF circuits are wired as follows

ash+

the LED does not light.

But if wired like this

the circuit works with power to unit and lit LED

I do not know why a second unit cannot go between LED and grnd with a dummy load unit to grnd in power to unit as the center take off prong ?t hus skipping the relay. For an alternative example ?. As the poste d question asks

near 9/10 circuits I wired are direct connection to Batt with wire gauges s upplied by Powerstreams calculator. But there are places without space or n ecessity that could be wired without a relay n without loss of voltage.

there are extra LED on the shelf but that's more complication.

Reply to
avagadro7

+Dash+

my load unit to grnd in power to unit as the center take off prong ? ?thus skipping the relay. For an alternative example ?. As the p osted question asks

supplied by Powerstreams calculator. But there are places without space or necessity that could be wired without a relay n without loss of voltage.

Relays are used when the switch can't take the current, or could but not re liably.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There is a missing wire in this schematic. The switch needs two wires. To light an LED internal to the switch requires both power and ground in addition to the switched output. In other words, the switch will be wired the same. The only difference is the switch controls the relay and the relay controls the lights.

If the LED does not light without the relay, either it is not wired correctly or turning on the lights draws too much power and there is a large voltage drop across the switch.

This is not rocket science. It either works or something isn't right. If you wire the switch up without the relay and then disconnect the lights, will the LED come on then?

I don't know what you mean by "the posted question". The original post was not intelligible.

I also don't completely understand this question. Where exactly in the drawing do you mean "between LED and grnd"? Do you mean in the connection between the switch and ground, in series? I believe that leg is providing ground for the LED. It would not be suitable for connecting a load as the LED drops some voltage. If you mean connecting a load between the switched terminal and ground, then yes, that would be fine as long as the load doesn't draw more current than the switch is rated for.

--

Rick C
Reply to

ED+Dash+

. As the

I rather suspect trolling.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't. I think it is someone who just isn't so good at writing what he is thinking. Not everyone is so good with words. I have a friend who can build nearly anything out of metal. But don't ask him to write down any of his thinking.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I doubt it, but who knows.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

hmm. I expected a quick expert answer.

There are: google images UTUBE, and finding a resistor fir the power to unit middle prong.

Relay use allows 8/10 GA wire from batt to the either control area in Milan or to near the powered unit area...thus reduceing voltage drop.

Aux lights on my van's roof with long wire runs receive near 13V.

The LED is integral.

Reply to
avagadro7

Are you sure you mean this? That much current through an LED would destroy it in short order. In parallel to the current path, perhaps. But not in series.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

The switch has three terminals, power, ground and switched. The LED is internally switched and I'm sure it has a resistor as well.

--

Rick C
Reply to

friend bcae

scroll down

no, haven't blown any LED in various configuration I've tried ... a few brain cells ....

the question is can the hella and Amazon alikes be used with functional LED without the relay ? I have no resistors on shelf ...maybe next week. Does a resistor supply the drop as a substitute for the load ? ohmage ?

I'm waiting on a FEDEX part to continue.

the issue is on side track

the other questions are on hold for more research time as I'm not avoiding you.

Reply to
avagadro7

w brain cells ....

ED without the relay ? I have no resistors on shelf ...maybe next week. Doe s a resistor supply the drop as a substitute for the load ? ohmage ?

ing

A or B but not C ..... and no, I haven't connected led to load to grnd in series. I lit an added LED for connection to power not grnd. All the succe ssful connections here go directly to grnd thru the relay. Not thru load. I had thought. without theory, that this was connected to the total Ford sy stem activating power to grnd. try separating application and demo in the s ame circuit ....

an excellent question. I needed 20 steps up from the keyboard when your que stion became obvious.

I give out Bcae's address to 'mechanics' like myself n they have results.

Reply to
avagadro7

Which switch do you have? Is the LED INSIDE the switch?

--

Rick C
Reply to

few brain cells ....

l LED without the relay ? I have no resistors on shelf ...maybe next week. Does a resistor supply the drop as a substitute for the load ? ohmage ?

oiding

in series. I lit ank added LED for connection to power not grnd. All the successful connections here go directly to grnd thru the relay. Not thru lo ad. I had thought. without theory, that this was connected to the total For d system activating power to grnd. try separating application and demo in the same circuit ....

question became obvious.

s.

the rockers I use are 3 pins as in Bcae's link above.

here is the gamut

the Chinese have road tested fat tired glass packed Ford pickups ...

All E has new stock .....stating with 'built in resistors for 12Vdc .....

why resistors ?

Reply to
avagadro7

I give up. The pages you point to show dozens of switches. I'm not going to try to read your mind. If you can't tell me what switch you are using, I'm not going to try to guess how to wire it.

--

Rick C
Reply to

the whole thread is him stringing folk along.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr