heat sensitive paper/film for finding short circuits?

Anybody out there know about this? You place the film/paper on top of a circuit board that has a short circuit and it will show you the hot spots. I only saw it used a couple times, and that was quite a few years ago.

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

Interesting idea. I imagine cling film would distorrt where it got hot and thus work.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There used to be wax crayons for various temperatures.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

does the paper roll used in thermal printers or fax machine will work??

Reply to
scrsan

You can still get them, but they cost about $15 each.

What about those IR thermometers? Some have a pretty small field of view and should work. If you can get close to the work, Harbor Freight has a $10 one (on sale) with a wide field of view (sees

1" when you're 1" away).
Reply to
Kurt Krueger

Stick board in Deep-freezer for a few minutes, so that it becomes cold enough to frost over in a humid room, and then power up the board. The high current areas will defrost first ! I am assuming that this is a low impedance power board, and not bothered by leakage from the damp circuit-board. the hard-frosted board will not leak until the frost melts. By then you should have the information you need anyway.

Yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:36:19 +0000, Yukio YANO Has Frothed:

Or you could spray the suspected area(s) with freeze mist aka component cooler.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow