Toner Transfer Method Paper

Hello all,

I'm looking to produce a PCB utilising the toner transfer method. I was wondering if any of you guys knew of any brands of paper, in the UK, that work well? So far I have used some Staples stuff that a website suggested, but it didn't work, it was a recommendation from a website in the US and I assume the composition is different in the UK version. I have also used some Tesco own brand matt paper, this worked, but the transfered toner didn't adhear very well.

I have access to photo sensitive boards at work, but for personal use I think they are far too expensive and have the added hassle of the whole exposure and developing process.

I looked at that blue transfer paper stuff, but it is really expensive.

Regards,

Rob.

Reply to
news

Sorry, this one was the first attempt, but Agent decided not to send it due to a problem with my settings, I looked all over for an outbox and couldn't find one! Obviously it does have one somewhere!

Regards,

Rob.

Reply to
news

Here is the step by step process.

1) Wait for the 1st of September. 2) Email your hatch-filled 274x Gerbers and auto-tool drill files to Olimex. 3) Wait for a real PCB to appear in mailbox.
Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

[snip]

Window, Open Outbox

But you never really need to see it, just use "Post Follow up" or "Post New Message" buttons on the tool bar.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Rob,

I make several boards monthly for proto-types. If you are able to layout and print the toner iron-on you have accomplished the difficult part. I print my PDF file onto a thin "gloss paper" exactly like magazines are printed on. I think the paper is called Gloss 70# (pound) in the trade.

I give instructions here for project builders.

I only messed up the first time I tried it, after that you get a feel of what's going on and you will get perfect results every time.

A 6" x 6" single or double side can be made for less than $10 usd. That's with a clear silkscreen of components.

Good Luck,

  • * * Christopher

Temecula CA.USA

Christopher

Join

and learn it all.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Press-n-peel Blue if you can get it. Otherwise, I had used a decorative Foil, FX brand, that was meant to be placed on top of a document and when passed thru a laser printer it adhered to the toner already on the page. It had good resolution but tended to stretch. Also, you could try Clear acetate. This was my first try, but didn't work well.

Martine Riddle

A. THe board has to be absolutely spotlessly clean with "copper-brite" scouring powder and one of those green potscrubbing sponges. THe copper brite cleans the board chemically and the green potscrubber microscratches the surface of the copper for the toner to get a grab-hold.

B. THe board has to be absolutely dry and warm to start. A few minutes in a toaster oven on its lowest range is OK for this. Caution ... the board needs to be shiny bright when it comes out of the oven. If it is dull or brownish, you left it in the oven too long. Scrub the oxidation off and try again.

C. You mentioned some matte paper. Absolutely wrong. It has to be "photo gloss" and Staples photo basic gloss works very well. The toner has a hard time sticking to the gloss and likes warm copper much better.

D. THe iron has to be as hot as it can get and it will take a good five minutes of ironing per side when the board is done. The backing of the paper will start to scorch when you have enough heat and enough time.

E. The paper needs to be peeled from the toner in a hot water bath. Let it sit in the bath for about five minutes and it will peel easily.

My freshman engineering students have learned this trick for the last couple of semesters and as yet, not a single failure. (Imagine that ... engineers that can actually go into the lab and make something without burning the place down.)

Jim

So far I have used some Staples stuff that a

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

I've used a number of different papers and I found it is usually the middle grade papers that work best. The cheap (store brand) papers seem to use a film, to give the paper strength, that doesn't release from the toner with water.

I stay away from the store brands (staples and officemax in the U.S. and Officeworks in Australia) and look for the least expensive Avery products I can find.

Kevin

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." -- Adm. Hyman Rickover, USN

Reply to
kccnospam

Double sided glossy paper for color laser printers works excellent. Can't vouch for any brands in the UK though :/

Adam

Reply to
Adam Stouffer

They changed something about the blue press-n-peel or I got a bad batch. I reordered some and the new stuff deformed and partially melted in my old HP LJ 3P. I ordered some of this stuff

from Digi-Key along with the green TRF foil and it works as well or better than the old press-n-peel. The TRF Foil appears to be what makes work so well. It really seals the toner so that there is no pitting. One of these days I need to try the TRF Foil on a sheet of cheapie photo paper and see how it does since it's only $9 US for a

8"x15' roll.

Mike

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sir Julian Huxley - Humanist, atheist and science popularizer, Professor of Zoology, President of UNESCO 25 yrs ago in a radio interview "I suppose that the reason that we lept at the origin (of the species) was because the idea of God interfered with our sexual mores."

Reply to
Mike