HDMI Dead on Panasonic TCP50S2 Plasma TV

I'm pretty sure about the signal not getting through the big damn chip. The question is whether it is a software or hardware problem. If you go to sho pjimmys and look at a picture of the main board fro that model, alot of tho se traes from the HDMI jacks go straight to a big BGA flat thing with a hea tsink. The page is here :

Next to each HDMI jack is a little SMD transistor, no doubt a buffer for wh atever data an HDMI device wants to tell the micro. Now if plugging in a mo dern device (which he has) causes the set to switch to that input (which it did) and it does not produce a picture, the test is inconclusive. the IC t hat selects the HDMI input could simply be bad, but on the other hand it ma y not have neen initialized properly. this can be caused by a bad micro, or more likely corrupt data. the corrupt data can be caused by a defective EP ROM.

Now actually, EPROMS don't go bad as often as the used to, and I think that shitty power supplies cause alot of data corruption. they depend on specif ic capacitances in electrolytics for an orderly power down sometimes, which ois shitty engineering because the never gain ESR and/or lose capacity at the same rate over time. In a three year old unit, the screwup could have h appened once when turned on cold in a certain mode, or whatever. It depends on too much to be analysable effectively withoput a hell of alot of inform ation and equipment we do not have.

If I could reverse engineer a data port on the thing and had a properly wor king unit, I would indeed try to load the data from the EPROM in the workiu ng unit into the non-working unit. I would say that most likely it would fi x it.

I would then consider modifying the power supply to make a recurrance less likely. Most likely I would be forced to trust the engineers to have design ed it so that a sustained Vcc or Vdd to the micro and EPROM would not damag e the ports by having the other supplies slam down on the protection diodes in all the other ICs.

Of course all this is not going to happen. I've never dealt with load EPROM S manually using a PC. I know RCA's Chipper Check software has suck a funct ion. I also know tha tin other electronic fields it is done sometimes, but they are working on expensive equipment that justifies the cost of all this horseshit. If we could get EPROM images when these sets are new, that owul d not be so bad, but where the hell are you going to find the exact same mo del, and I mean exact. Just because it has the same model number does not m ean it is the same model. I have found this out enough times...

So we are down to replacing the board, because if it is a software problem you can change ALL the parts and not fix it. Got one someone broke in half ? go ahead and just change the EPROM. It is SMD but it's only eight pins. I t is doable, even for us old guys who can't see.

But get one.

Reply to
jurb6006

But realistically, about the only thing you can do is replace bad caps on the power supply board. The main boards are essentially unrepairable with their SMD chips.

Repair is pretty much limited to complete replacement of the main board or LCD panel, neither of which is economically viable.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)

Yes, but plenty are being tossed because of bad capacitors, and thus are=20 really easy to get going.

I'mnot seeing LCD tv sets on the sidewalk yet, but all the LCD monitors I= =20 have have been found on the sidewalk. SOme need new capacitors. One was= =20 a badly damaged screen, but in taking that one apart I saw how little=20 there was inside. SOme of the smaller ones had some damage to the screen,= =20 but not enough to be a bother.

They are a lot more convenient to keep around than CRT monitors, so much=20 smaller and lighter.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Yes, FIOS and Blu-ray both come up blank, though FIOS doesn't show an error.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

That dates us. ;( :)

Unless it gets worse, I'll just live with using Component Video.

Someone else noted how much easier it is to get to the guts of these modern flat screen sets. That is certainly true, but balance that with the sheer size and it becomes a pain to find a spot to even work on it!

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

I built some nifty stands for that purpose. I'll find the pictures later.

Reply to
jurb6006

This is what you need to fix flat sets :

In fact I'll even buildem forya, but shipping would be ridiculous. The only problem for most peope is cutting an accurate 60 degree angle. Miter saw won't do it, it takes a table saw.

Unless you want to do it freehand.

Reply to
jurb6006

Hi Samuel,

Did you figure out this issue in the end? I am having the same problem with my Panny TC-P50GT50...

Thanks, Jimmy

You are welcome to email me directly at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com - thanks so much for your help. I am glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue.

Reply to
jmryan28

Nah, I'm just using Component Video, sorry. :( :) One solution I've been told is to replace the "A"? board. The cost and hassle simply isn't worth it to me, and then have it go out again in a year!

Cheers!

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

> You are welcome to email me directly at jmryan28@gmail.com - thanks so
> much for your help. I am glad to see I'm not the only one with this
> issue.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

An A main will fix both TVs. Unfortunately, both of these are later versio ns that incorporate the HDMI receiver/select into the BABGA. No manufactur ers offer BGA chips separately that I know of. In any case, difficult for the pro and almost impossible for the novice to change even if the chip was available. This leaves replacing the A board and hoping you get a good on e, or use the component inputs (which is what I would do on my own TV)

Reply to
John-Del