Hard disk crashed - where is my 50-digital WinXP installation id?

I don't mind calling Microsoft at 1-888-571-2048, but, where do I get my WIndows XP 50-digit installation ID?

After my kid's hard disk crashed I put a spare disk, which was long lying around, in the computer. Up popped "Activate Windows" which hangs forever with the laptop on my desk not hooked to anything but power.

Googling, I find this is the Windows XP activation process:

- Start with a unique 25-character product key on the CDROM case

- This creates a 20-digit product id

- A hardware hash is created from 10 hardware items

- The hardware hash + product key combine to a 50-digit installation ID

- You give that 50-digit installation ID to Microsoft (1-888-571-2048)

- Start -> Run -> oobe/msoobe /a

- This modifies the two files wpa.dbl & wpa.bak (save them for future use)

- C:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl & c:\windows\system32\wpa.bak

- In the future, press F8 to boot to safe mode = minimal

- And just copy those files back onto the newly formatted hard disk

When I run "Start -> Run -> oobe/msoobe /a" on my second laptop, it says: "Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit"

However, my kid's laptop with the spare hard drive in it, won't boot. It's stuck at the "Activate Windows" screen with nothing to press or hit except the red x to close the window.

I don't mind calling Microsoft at 1-888-571-2048, but, where do I get my Windows XP 50-digit installation ID?

Reply to
Erica Eshoo

I thought you just needed 25 character string, on the CD or the holigraphic label on the laptop/PC case.

It is normally asked for whem one does a complete initial install, or first start of Laptop

Michael

Michael

Reply to
mscotgrove

It also asks if you change motherboard, hard drive or network card. Lee

Reply to
Lee

My kid's laptop didn't come with a CD for Windows. It just came with Windows XP on it.Then the hard disk drive crashed.

When I put a spare hard drive I had lying around in, up came this message about Windows Activation being needed before I could log in. OK. Fine.

But, the Windows Activation window just came up blue and blank with no buttons, no action, no words, no nuthin'. I waited an hour and still nothing. I plugged into a live ethernet, and did a hardware reboot, and still nothing when it came up the same way.

What's wrong with Windows Activation?

Reply to
Erica Eshoo