Fried USB

I printed stuff from USB at FedEx than transfered some files from phone to USB then USB went blank. Took it home, same. Is there any quick way to fix this?

Once my phone (same mfg but not this one) lost an entire SD card I never recovered and that seemed to be because it went to zero power. I tried all sorts of gparted utilities to no luck. (I had allowed the phone to partitin the SD). I don't think I blanked an entire USB before.

Reply to
vjp2.at

Go to $store of choice, and buy a new one. You mentioned gparted, so I assume you have a Linux box -- what happens in dmesg when you plug it in?

Reply to
Dan Purgert

I got tons of free usb drives from trade shows

I got lotsa boxes.. I forgot dmesg - please remind me there is also a partition fixer that comes with windows it comes up but it doesn't tell me what params to use

the partitionson (DOS/XP/CAELinux) the system am using took a lot of work to set up and I don't want to mess them.

there was a lot of things I tried last time this happened - nothing worked gparted says unrecognisable drive format but I see this as prolly lost cause

The goon ghules at android run rough shod on a lot of standards

*+-> *+-> I printed stuff from USB at FedEx than transfered some files *+-> from phone to USB then USB went blank. Took it home, same. *+-> Is there any quick way to fix this?

*+-Go to $store of choice, and buy a new one. You mentioned gparted, so I

*+-assume you have a Linux box -- what happens in dmesg when you plug it *+-in?
Reply to
vjp2.at

Well, dmesg would show kernel-level logging when you plug in the device, that is "does the machine even recognize what you've plugged in?".

Might not show partition details (in fact, it probably doesn't, beyond "found 1 partition"), but it'll at least show things like the manufacturer / serial number / etc. that will at least point towards "what has failed" (e.g. if it gets the vendor data, but can't talk to the flash ... might be a case of an "unsafe ejection" broke the formatting on the flash).

Reply to
Dan Purgert

At least gparted recognizes the drive.

If you want to try the software recovery method, there are plenty of programs to choose from:

Most of these include a "trial" version of the program to test if there is a chance at fixing the drive or recovering the data.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann