First appearances of connector types?

Anyone know of somewhere that lists the first appearances of such connectors as Scart Mini din in particular but preferably other types as well for bookmark purposes.

N Cook

"N Cook" wrote in news:f99i29$pe7$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl:

Guessing:

SCART: Probably the late 1970s/early 1980s when video recorders, Teletext, and other video deices began showing up on the market.

Mini-din: Mid 80s, when S-VHS video recorders started showing on the market, or when IBM came our with the PS/2 system, and used the mini 6 pin din instead of the larget XT/AT 5 pin din for the keyboard, and later mouse.

Reply to
Gary Tait

For Scart I have only got to earlier than 1984 and mini-din there seems to be confusion in usage of the term with fine pitch D connectors but mid 80s seems about right. Unfortunately the old catalogues I have are for more industrial type than domestic connectors.

N Cook

This is a newsgroup about the repair of electronic equipment. Your question has no relevance here.

Before posting, and adding to the clutter that may kill yet another newsgroup, read Mark Zenier's guide to the sci.electronics.* hierarchy: ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/m/mzenier/seguide9706.txt

MIchael

Reply to
Michael Black

IIRC originated in France and called Peritel - a way of connecting an early home computer to the TV. No point in having what is essentially an RGB connector for a VHS.

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I see someone has done Wikis for them. According to those 1977 for Peritel/Scart but no dating on the mini din one .

N Cook

I tend to keep a selection of old catalogues from RS and Maplin etc so I'll try and remember to look and see when they first appeared - if mine go back that far.

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I looked in my 1977 and 1985 Maplin ones but neither in there. My earliest RS one is 1986, I keep a look out for earlier RS cataloques, (when they used to stock valves and TV spares and running man logo) at radio rallies but not seen any for many years.

N Cook

Ah - that saves me the bother then. ;-)

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

But it leaves the possibility there for the future.

Slightly OT, I wish they had Peritel/SCART in North America.

Reply to
Gary Tait

What does an ordinary consumer do there, to connect a TV and surround sound amp to a satellite system, VCR and recordable DVD say. Call out an engineer to create a custom made rat's nest. ?

N Cook

"N Cook" wrote in news:f9cnq7$148$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl:

I believe Video recorders have 3 SCART connectors. You can connect digital audio with optical and coax though.

Reply to
Gary Tait

The Macintosh Plus (1986) used mini-DIN 8 connectors for serial, so they were definitely available then. DIN means a standard, of course, so there's a date of issue for the DIN documents (which probably isn't the same as first manufacture or use).

Reply to
whit3rd