fault description - video?

Has anyone out there regularly requested a video of fault behavior as a precondition for issuing repair RMAs?

I've sent verbal descriptions, meter readings and scope waveform captures, only to be met with a request for a video - in situations where there are no moving parts (meter or oscilloscope), or where movement is easily described as full travel forward 360deg, center, full travel recverse 360deg (servo drive).

What is this?

RL

Reply to
legg

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I will answer with an analogy:

We have a cat, which when it was two years old, very suddenly and without a ny prior warning, started to stumble, tilt its head to one side and walk in to things. We called our vet to bring him in (this was at night), and from the verbal description, they thought it was some sort of stroke or similar neurological issue - and referred us to a much more distant emergency clini c. We arrive at the clinic about 40 minutes later (flying low all the way). The vet there takes one look at him walking and says: "Bladder blockage". Which is what it was. He is fine now. But if he were treated for stroke, ev en for a couple of hours, he would be dead.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

Not sure, but I would often request pictures so that I could verify the set-up. (A picture of a 'scope trace can tell you a lot more than a reported amplitude.) Maybe pics would be enough?

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Scope screen shots, annotated and sequenced using their component and test point markings - requests for other significant monitory positions - were ignored.

"Would there be a possibility to provide us a video of the issue? This would be more than helpful for us to identify the cause for the malfunction and it would give us the chance to initiate the further procedure right away, also we will have to save the defect in our database."

They have a database of videos?

In some cases, I guess there is a language barrier, or I was communicating with the wrong guy (sales).

RL

Reply to
legg