fault description - video?

Has anyone out there regularly requested a video of fault
behavior as a precondition for issuing repair RMAs?

I've sent verbal descriptions, meter readings and scope
waveform captures, only to be met with a request for
a video - in situations where there are no moving
parts (meter or oscilloscope), or where movement is easily
described as full travel forward 360deg, center, full travel
recverse 360deg (servo drive).

What is this?

RL

Re: fault description - video?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

We have a cat, which when it was two years old, very suddenly and without a
ny prior warning, started to stumble, tilt its head to one side and walk in
to things. We called our vet to bring him in (this was at night), and from
the verbal description, they thought it was some sort of stroke or similar
neurological issue - and referred us to a much more distant emergency clini
c. We arrive at the clinic about 40 minutes later (flying low all the way).
 The vet there takes one look at him walking and says: "Bladder blockage".
Which is what it was. He is fine now. But if he were treated for stroke, ev
en for a couple of hours, he would be dead.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: fault description - video?

Not sure, but I would often request pictures so that I could verify
the set-up.  (A picture of a 'scope trace can tell you a lot more
than a reported amplitude.)  Maybe pics would be enough?

George H.

Re: fault description - video?

Scope screen shots, annotated and sequenced using their component
and test point markings - requests for other significant monitory
positions - were ignored.

"Would there be a possibility to provide us a video of the issue?
This would be more than helpful for us to identify the cause for
the malfunction and it would give us the chance to initiate the
further procedure right away, also we will have to save the defect
in our database."

They have a database of videos?

In some cases, I guess there is a language barrier, or I was
communicating with the wrong guy (sales).

RL

Site Timeline