Fancy loudpeaker grille cloth ?

Not nessarily metal tracery type (Selmer was always my favourite). Do avoid appearing too much of a numbskull when I go into a habberdashers to ask about availability of such cloth - is there a generic or trade name for that sort of open weave decorative cloth ?

N Cook

I used to use a material called Rug Canvas which is a tough cross weave of stiffened thin string, the 'holes' are about a quarter inch square, It takes spray paint very well, and it`s very strong - if correctly tensioned, you can stand on it. There are dozens of firms selling repro grill cloth for Selmer/Vox/Wem etc.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

habberdashers to

for

etc.

Was the paint for decorative effect or for stiffening ? I may also try the local street with half a dozen Indian sari material shops as a lot of that is tinselised, maybe they have some use for a coarser, open weave, tinselised material.

N Cook

Just to colour it, it starts of white and is quite stiff already.

RadioSpares used to do a kind of woven plastic filiament material for speaker grills with white black and gold threads. It was called tygan or something similar.

If you want something that is decorative yet doesn't have to be too strong, take a look at patterned ladies nylon headscarves. back in 'The Good Old days©' we used to cover our control line combat model aircraft with those as it was cheaper than nylon from the model shop.

Reply to
Ron(UK)

(also has links to some European sources)
etc.

TM

Reply to
tonym924

JR North

**I find that two way stretch jersey works very well. It is available in a simply astonishing array of colours and patterns. I purchased some rather attractive 'electric blue' for a client some time ago. It transformed his speakers into something rather artistic.

Bonus: There are often some rather attractive women shopping at the haberdashery.

Trevor Wilson

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

name

shops

open

Sari shops were no help but found a good material shop, Fabric Land, don't know if its part of a chain. No knowledge of Tygan or Tigan but some useful names are "Aida", white to cream , so need dying or painting, open weave hessian sort of material. Some coarse muslins similar but come in darker colours. Most likely is something called "Black Tea Bag" , but rather stretchy so would need to be sparayed with starch or dilute PVA My favourite was "Gothic Net", open weave black overlaid with tinselly copper spider's webs but again would have to be stiffened. All about 2.50 to 3.00 GBP per m run of 1.5m width or whatever such bolts are.

N Cook