electronic ballast repair

Hello all,

This little electronic ballast for a 11W fluorescent tube (2 pin one) failed. I found a bad electrolitic a fried 1.2 ohm resistor and a shorted active device which I failed to identify. Looks like a TO-126 transistor, it is marked Si 1300313. There's another identical transistor, but either is burned too (but not shorted like the other) or isn't either BJT nor mosfet as every terminal has some measurable resistance (in the hundreds of ohms range) with every other terminal, either polarity (but resistance is different with polarity reversed). Any hint on how to identify this? Would be easier to just buy another one, but this stupid thing failed after only 8 months use, I wouldn't want to change ballasts more often than lamps.

Thanks in advance and best regards Francesco

Reply to
francesco.messineo

was it an FEIT lamp, they have ntoriously short life? They are fun to play with but not to really repair.

Reply to
hrhofmann

If I'd only know what an FEIT lamp is...

Thanks Francesco

Reply to
francesco.messineo

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:33:52 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, "Si" is a prefix used by Vishay Siliconix:

I suspect that the part number may be a special order.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

FEIT is a brand of lamp, like Sylvania, Philips,etc.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You can sometimes wreck a similar sized CFL and use the ballast from that. Cheaper than buying spare parts.

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com...

Francesco, have a look at Todis hard discount. They have complete set, case-switch on it-cable and plug, at 4,50 euro only. Just ready to fit and eventually extend to others 'cause have fitted on side an extension socket. Not worth to repair. ciao Valerio

Reply to
Vale

Maybe that is a MJE13003, a common BJT used in CFL. Usually there is a smaller electrolytic capacitor that went dry, this makes switching transistors overheat & short circuit.

Wicaks> Hello all,

Reply to
Wicaksono

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:07:49 -0700 (PDT), Wicaksono put finger to keyboard and composed:

Your post jogged my memory.

Here are a bunch of reverse engineered CFL circuits, many of which use MJE13003 transistors:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Yes, it's definitely an MJE13003 clone, unfortunately it's not easy to find a TO-126 equivalent here. Ordering online woult cost way more than the ballast is worth. Thanks anyway, learning is always good.

Best regards Francesco

Reply to
francesco.messineo