Electronic Ballast ?

Recently people talk about energy saving in the elecrticial home appliance.such as the use of electronic ballast to substitude the conventional ballast. I checked out some source. states that only 20% reduction in energy consumption is saved. When you compare the product price,the electronic ballast cost atleast 6 time more than the conventional ballast. moreover there is no assurance that the electronic ballast can last longer than the conventional ballast. My conventional ballast havebeen in use for 28 years with daily 12 hours orperation .

Reply to
mowhoong

My conventional ballast gave me a lot of hum, so I replaced it with an electronic one. Didnt know that it is going to save me some electricity, but I like its instant operation when you switch it on.

We get them here for about $3 a piece from the 100% discount stores and super save stores which sell goods from China. And so far I have replaced 2 of my flourence fittings. Worked for few months and still ok so far.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Bong

So how much is 20% of the money that you have spent on electric power for the fluorescent lighting over the last 28 years?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

"mowhoong"

** Do the math.

If an electronic ballast saves only 5 watts and has a life of 50,000 hours that means 250 kWh

Saves around $ 30 in electricity.

Then there is the saving in starters, say another $ 10.

Then there is the additional light output from running fluoro tubes at high frequency.

Plus longer tube life, as the start up process is not near so harsh as a bi-metal stater.

** Bet you have replaced a good few starters.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hi Phil, thanks to members's reply. Some bought it at only $3/- it could be simple circuit without noise filter.etc. But additional light output may result your end terminal get blacken easily.

Reply to
mowhoong

As it happens, I spent yesterday installing a custom noise exposure booth at a Major Metropoitan University. The booth had to fit into a former single-stall shower room, but the overhead light needed to be repositioned to do this.

The "industrial" light appeared to be 3 compact fluorescent U-tubes in a cluster; don't know what watt rating, but they were pretty hot to touch when running. The surprising thing was that they had tiny conventional ballast transformers, one for each tube, that were *very* hot.

Surely, if this light had been installed to save energy, the ballasts weren't doing their share!

Bob Masta D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta