DVD dies

DVD player occasionally would go white screen but after cool off a few min, came back. Now went slow, froze, then on restart jerky. Then no image, keeps trying to engage. FInally says wrong disc. Try sev disks,same thing. Does it need cleaning? Is the light dead? How do I know? Why does it seem that in both rec and computer use, CD device lives longer than DVD?

Much obliged for any help

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

It's really easy to clean the lens, so once you get access to the lens (which may sometimes be an issue), it's worth the effort since for most people, that's the limit of what they can do. I even found a nice DVD player (with HDMI output) a couple of years ago, finding it on top of a pile of garbage, the cover off, the cover to the lense unscrewed. Someone seemed to be trying to clean it, and then gave up. I cleaned it, and it was fine.

The denser something is, the more finicky it gets. A CD can hold about

500megs of data, a DVD ten times as much. And a DVD player may actually see more use, a movie takes longer to play than a CD.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black
*+-It's really easy to clean the lens, so once you get access to the lens *+-(which may sometimes be an issue), it's worth the effort since for most *+-people, that's the limit of what they can do. I even found a nice DVD *+-player (with HDMI output) a couple of years ago, finding it on top of a *+-pile of garbage, the cover off, the cover to the lense unscrewed. Someone *+-seemed to be trying to clean it, and then gave up. I cleaned it, and it *+-was fine.

Hm.. thanks.. I take it the lense like thing that almost touches the disk isn't the lense you mean?

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

lens

most

DVD

Someone

it

disk

Actually it very likely is. Focusing to the few micron level means small size and distances.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk