Dustbuster voltage change

Hi,

I am meant to be revising so have decided to repair a dustbuster instead. It is a 7.2v model and the transformer to charge it is knacked. Thus, I was thinking of running it of a 9.6v AA nicad pack for which I have a charger with a nice plug that would make life easy.

I have fitted the pack and the suction is great, motor doesnt seem to get too hot and all would be well... but the batteries get absolutely scortching!

How can I stop this happening? Do I need to put a resistor in to limit current flow (but that would reduce suction I assume?) or can I run two packs in parellel (current drawn will be the same - get 2x battery life and the heat divided between the two packs).

Other option would be to use another battery type - an ideas? NiMH? Lead-acid?

I know buying another one would be easier, but I'd rather experiment ;)

Cheers squelch41

Reply to
mattsword

Hi,

It is exam season, so to avoid work, I am experimenting with a dustbuster. I want to change a 7.2v to a 9.6v (the 7.2 batteries dont work) - I have been using a model car NiCad pack and the suction is fantastic and the motor still remains cool. The only problem is the battery pack get very hot! How can I prevent this? Ideas I had:

1) a resistor to limit current flow - loath to do this as it will reduce motor speed 2) 2 9.6 packs in parellel to share the load between them and so keep them cooler. 3) A different type of battery - NiMH/Lead acid

I know that buying anew one is easier, but it is the experimenting that I want to do! :)

Thanks squelch41

Reply to
squelch41

The batteries get hot because you're drawing a lot of power from them, what you need is higher capacity (A-Hr) cells or put multiple battery packs in parallel.

Reply to
James Sweet

Not a good idea to parallel Ni-Cads - etc. They tend to self discharge even quicker. Use larger capacity cells in series.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well I have a Makita vac that's 7.2V and have been running it on 9.6V going on 7 years now. It rocks. The end of the pack is identical and the salesman that sold it to me showed me the battery switch. The only thing that has happened is that the impeller needed replacement last year. That cost about $7. The Makita batteries have built in thermal protection. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

I put 2 sets in parellel but it ended up drawing 10A as opposed to the

5A it was drawing from the single pack. The original batts are sub-c cells - presumably their additional amp-hour rating would enable them to run cool enough? Also, I suppose as it was a 7.2V, less current was drawn?
Reply to
squelch41

Yes as you increase the voltage the motor will draw more current as well, and in return you get a dramatic increase in horsepower.

Reply to
James Sweet

So what sort of battery would be most suitable to cope with this? I would imagine lead acid?

Reply to
squelch41

Actually, having just looked, lead acid batteries seem to be in multiples of 6v which isnt really suitable.

Would NiMH batteries be more suitable as they can provide more mAhs but I'd imagine they'd get just as hot especially as they have a higher internal resistance dont they?

Thanks

Reply to
squelch41

Yes, usually these things use NiCd's, I would think NiMH would be fine with intermittant use though.

Reply to
James Sweet

Are they likely to suffer from the same level of heat generation?

Reply to
squelch41

... and a dramatic increase in smoke output (but only temporarily).

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Reply to
Mike