Dumb TV question

You could very well be right - it's been a long time since I was commercially involved in TV repair and doing it all day every day. I'm pretty sure that they were argon filled, and I had this recollection of the discharge being white or blue/white, but the old memory is not what it was any more. Hell, I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast these days - well, not quite, but you know what I mean !

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

o a

Zenith liked to use them on their mid 60's - early 70's tube sets. They seemed to use them for several purposes in the horiz. sweep circuit. I remember some 16" - 19" B&W portables where the neon bulb lit up constantly when the set was on. I have a 25CC50 chassis color set that uses two in series in the HV regulator circuit. They light for a few seconds after the horiz. sweep starts then go out once the HV comes up.

Mike

Reply to
Mike WB2MEP

He trolls a lot of groups. Take a look at his rantings on news:rec.radio.shortwave if you need proof.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think he's fairly innocuous; but it does appear that he's often well-lubricated when he pushes the 'send' button. Basically, I think he's just lonely...but annoying at times.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

If he's lonely, he needs to find someplace to do volunteer work. Find a place where he can interact with others, rather than spend his time bothering people online. Life is too short alredy, so live it while you can. :)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I wish him luck finding it. In the Fall of 2004 I was unemployed and looking for a way to usefully spend my time (if only to lighten my depression). When I applied to the King County Library System to tutor kids in math and science, I was immediately rejected as "unqualified".

Hell, I was accepted by Caltech, MIT, and Case.

I haven't looked for volunteer work since.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Some only accept retired teachers, for some reason.

There are a lot of retirement homes around here that welcome people to spend time with the residents. Non profit thrift stores and various clubs always need help. A friend has had to depend on community service workers lately for his thrift store. The Humane Society, Habitat for Humanity and any VA clinic or hospital needs volunteers. The local VA clinics are all desperate for volunteer drivers, to drive the eight passenger DAV vans from local clinics to the Gainsville VA hospital. The local United Way has a list of about 100 organizations needing help.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There's a hospital not far from me, and I've considered going in. The problem is that I'm not quite yet ready to listen to people talk on ad-infinitum.

I appreciate your suggestions, though, and will keep them in mind. At the moment, my car is not running reliably.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck