drag soldering temperatures

Hello all, I just realized that they make hoof tips for my MX500. I occasionally work up projects with SOIC, SSOP, and QFP chips, and while I get good results with a micro tip, I can do better with a hoof. I've got a bunch of QFP reworks coming up in the near future.

I have a lot of metcal tips, and I know from experience that you sometimes need to bump up to the next hotter range with long-reach tips. So rather than spend 80 bucks on both tips, I was wondering if someone could tell me whether the 600 or 700 degree gives better results.

The part I'm looking at is the SMTC-_167. It's available in 600 or 700 degrees F.

Reply to
stickyfox

I vote for 700. I have some 600 degree tips for my Metcal and I don't like them.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

I second that.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Reply to
stickyfox

On Mar 24, 7:50=A0am, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote: > Thanks. I suspected as much. I have a long-reach fine point at 600 F > that just doesn't get hot enough for any but the tiniest components. > Smartheat tips seem to be no better than anything else when you put > more than a few millimeters between the heater and the actual tip. The > biggest advantage IMO is the handpiece. Whenever I use another iron I > feel like I'm swinging a baseball bat or jousting.

You mean a soldering tusk? I just picked up a dozen tips on eBay, 2 of which are 800 degree STTC-836. I haven't tried them yet and don't expect to 'need' them but it's nice to have them available. Also got 4 STTC-126 tips (my favorite for both SMT and through hole) for $41.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

How many kinds of soldering implements are named after cattle parts?

The tip I'm looking at is SMTC-1167. I'd describe it as an oblique conical frustum.. like the one you describe but with a rounded tip and flat on only one side. I don't have one of these on my bench but I tried drag soldering with a similar one and I can't get it to work as well.

When I left a job about ten years ago, I poured the contents of my desk drawer into a cardboard box and didn't give it much thought. I went through it later and found about a dozen metcal tips in there that my predecessor had left behind, some in original packaging. A year or so later, that turned out to be one of the factors in buying my MX500.

I see a lot of metcal stuff for sale > > =A0> Thanks. I suspected as much. I have a long-reach fine point at 600

Reply to
stickyfox

How many cars were marketed to Proctologists?

Michael A. Terrell

Ford Probe?

Reply to
[SMF]