does the freq. counter contribute anything in computer motherboard repair services?

does it has any good in computer motherboard repair services?

Reply to
computer

Seldom, if ever.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Only once in about 20 years have I used a frequency counter to fix a computer. My first IBM clone, a Columbia XT-compatible, would intermittently fail to boot up from a cold start. After several trips to the vendor I bought it from, I finally diagnosed the problem myself. I checked the 4.77 Mhz clock oscillator; it was reading about 4.768 Mhz. Turned out that the oscillator trimmer capacitor had never been set at the factory, and was so far off that the oscillator wasn't starting reliably. Setting the clock to 4.770000 Mhz solved the problem. It never failed to boot after that. Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

Reply to
Art

"computer" wrote in news:43a40ec1$1@127.0.0.1:

Not necessary.

I work on a fair amount of legacy PC based systems that use 386 / 486 Mother Boards that can?t run their custom programs on the newer faster CPUs. Preventive maintenance usually consists of replacing/rebuilding the PC Supply every two years. ESR check on the any Mother Board Caps, even more so on the newer PC based systems with CPU Core voltage supplies on them.

Testers Field work with DMM, ESR meter (CRO in workshop)

Parts for testing and trouble shooting; Assorted range of Memory sticks Assorted range of older CPU chips 386/486/P1 Spare PC SMPS Spare ISA Cards IDE, I/O & Video Spare PCI Cards ?ditto? Small size HDD?s

I?m experimenting with CF IDE drives for some of the older equipment now. I use Dolly to make images of the custom HDD systems (non-DOS). Will rat any older PC's I come across for working parts.

Wes.

Reply to
Wes.