Do they still sell multi-part electrolytic capacitors?

tique Electronics. Some people know the twist prong can style capacitor by the FP designation as an example. Cornell (CDE) and Sprague also produced t wist prong can capacitors back in the day.

Ken:

Do you understand the concept of "nailing Jell-O"? Nobody here suggested or implied that Mallory or any of the "old names" were still in the business of making caps, multi-section caps, or even storm doors and windows. What y ou and I were (an are) suggesting is that multi-section caps are still in p roduction from various suppliers around the world and still readily availab le to anyone with the means and the will to get them.

If one goes to some of these websites and reads carefully, there will be ma ny disclaimers on the NOS stuff, and very specific references on the curren t-production stuff. Nowhere do any of the makers I linked, again suggest or imply that what they are selling is "fresh" if NOS, or NOS if fresh. CE do es make much of using vintage machinery, but to make *NEW* capacitors.

Phil is a pimple on the soft underbelly of this hobby. That he has not been lanced-with-prejudice has more to do with his location and pure blind luck . For all that, he is a knowledgeable tech with some good skills. However, if it is not in his world, or does not conform to his idea of the universe, it is suspect and to be rejected. And any person with the temerity to stan d up to him - again is in for some very colorful invective and suggestions of awful fates to come. Consider the hognose snake for similar behavior.

Once upon a time, he railed against CFL Lamps with all sorts of invective a nd all sorts of (bad) data and anecdotal referrals.

Not much later, he railed against someone who complained about them with eq ually accurate information.

Once upon a time he railed against the entire concept of an isolation trans former. Then.... you get the picture.

As he experiences his various epiphanies, he becomes equally righteous,but on the other side. What he does not do is learn from such.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

** You have no clue about what you are saying.

Piss off.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** But in fact the CE brand caps are 50+ years old, dried out and worthless.

** What I posted about CFLs was 100% correct.

** What I posted was 100% correct but incomprehensible to the Wieck retard.

Be aware:

Wieck is a mental retard plus incorrigible LIAR and and criminal defamer.

He lives only to troll.

Lets hope that is not for much longer.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In the probably vain hope that there is still a few sane neurons firing in your agitated, fear-ridden brain - what do you derive from this?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

less.

n your agitated, fear-ridden brain - what do you derive from this?

turing

Peter you seem like a good guy, but you're not paying attention to what's g oing on in the world.

A few years back Geraldo Rivera did a TV special where a hidden vault, choc k full of old electronic components, was opened. They found many thousands of (strangely and coincidentally) the most popular canned capacitors that would be most in demand years later. All of these were thoroughly cleaned, buffed, and relabeled. Oddly, of the thousands that were sold dried up an d inert, no one figured out the cans themselves were defective and were in fact just old dead stock, except Phil.

You can do better..

Reply to
ohger1s

ock full of old electronic components, was opened.

Funny thing - there is nothing on Google, Geraldo's Website, nor any other reference putting that gentleman together with "electronic(s)", "capacitor( s)", "condenser(s)" nor any other of several variations. True, I only did t wo searches. Please provide a link as the originator of this evidence.

They found many thousands of (strangely and coincidentally) the most popul ar canned capacitors that would be most in demand years later. All of thes e were thoroughly cleaned, buffed, and relabeled. Oddly, of the thousands that were sold dried up and inert, no one figured out the cans themselves w ere defective and were in fact just old dead stock, except Phil.

I am beginning to smell a rat (troll, at least). "...nobody figure out... e xcept Phil." Sarcasm at its finest, given the reputation of those peddling these so-called 'defective' caps. Between AES, VTA and any of several othe r international vendors, were there the slightest smell of problems with th ese caps, they would drop them like plutonium.

No, so far, you have no more than anecdotal evidence. If you are trolling, that is all you need. If you are actually trying to make a point in support of Phil - or anyone else - a bit more than vague statements supported by a necdotes of dubious veracity is required.

a) Al Capone purportedly had a vault. b) Geraldo purportedly opened it. c) There are lots-O-NOS caps out there being sold under various conditions and descriptions. Mostly right out in plain sight. But, of a certainty, it is vaguely and perhaps *just* possible that there are unscrupulous sellers out there selling all sorts of twaddle to the gullible.

In this case, a) + b) ? c).

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Why don't you check at,

A forum full of oldtimers there with lots of experience replacing old caps. Hey, and it has no bickering!

Mikek

amdx

I bought three, one pound spools of Kester .031" 63/37 at a local flea market last fall. I paid $10 for all three of them.

I also won a pair of half pound spools of Ersin Multicore on Ebay for $15. They are .015", 63/37. Just keep your eyes open.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The closest I got to that was finding a small roll of quite thick solder at a garage sale, but it wsa branded "IBM", so an element of novelty to it.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

That is about the way of it. I have one 63/37 at the bench, one in the travel kit and one spare.

After all this time, I will not use anything but true eutectic solder. I even keep a small amount of CU/AG/SN eutectic lead-free solder for very special applications such as repairing jewelry. Not cheap, but does the trick.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I wasn't even looking for solder when I found it. Someone I know at 'Markets of Marion' sells used DVDs. The spools of solder were sitting on one of his tables, along with a genuine 'Camilus Electrician's knife'. I bought the solder, and he gave me the knife because the finish was bad. It took me 15 minutes to make it look right. :)

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.