Do hard drives fail from open covers?

The nominal mechanical spacing in advanced, experimental heads is less than 10 nanometers, or less than 0.4 microinches. I don't know the exact values, but current commercial products use spacings smaller than

1 microinch. At those dimensions and the typical linear velocities of 30 m/s (about 60 mph), the air no longer acts as a Newtonian fluid. They claim that the head and disk surfaces are smooth enough that the 10nm value is a meaninful number, and measurements are often presented with 1 angstrom resolution..
Reply to
jfeng

Uhhh, no. I was just trying to make up something to illustrate a point.

What movie?

-

Jim Adney

"The Deer Hunter". Very very weird movie about the craziness in Veitnam at the time. Christopher Walken had gone AWOL, and was working in some town playing Russain Roulette for the entertainment of the Vietnamese folks. They'd place bets on whether he was going to blow his brains out.

Well, it was getting frenetic - he was doing like two chambered rounds, and the odds went way up. Then he did three, and the odds skyrocketed. Then, in all of the excitement, he goes, "Five! How about five!" And the locals say something incomprehensible, but they're obviously all excited - he puts five bullets in the gun, and realizes that there are five "captors", so: *POW* *POW* *POW*

*POW* *POW* he dusts the five guys and escapes.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I remember working with this type of drives 2 decades ago. We fondly call them washing machines, can't remember the oem but they are called Zebra. They are fun to work with at the same time p.i.t.a., but they taught me all I need to know about hard disks. Being unsealed type, it was possible to replace individual heads and that's where the fun begins!

Reply to
kinyo

So interesting that POW also stands for... :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Yeah, after intalling the $1200 alignment pack after replacing a head and screeeeeeeeechsssssss&&t. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Oh, THAT movie. That's one I've always meant to rent and just never did. Now you've gone and ruined it for me. Drat! ;-)

-

Jim Adney

The 5 in the chambers rouletted game did not happen in town. Happened when DeNiro et al were prisoners and forced to play at gunpoint under threat of a hideous torture death. DeNiro kept upping the number of bullets until he had enough to shoot the Vietnamese and escape with his buddies.

empty

Reply to
Blarg

Troll

Yes, if the consumer wants half the size.

sci.electronics.repair:418017

Reply to
John Doe

newsdbm06.news.prodigy.com!newsdst02.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01b.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!newscon06.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!cyclone1.gnilink.net!spamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!trnddc05.POSTED!dd653b87!not-for-mail

sci.electronics.repair:418013

Reply to
John Doe