diode to magnetron?

there should be 2 diodes near the microwave magnetron so is this correct orientation of diode2 ?(the original schematic diagram was damaged) transformer_coil | |-------capacitor---

  • | | cathode2 | ground ------cathode1anode1----anode2--------------------|--magnetron
Reply to
anglomont

Nope, only need one. The magnetron is the other.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

well on schematic there is another one in parallel with the capacitor (guess for protection)but its orientation is not clear-probably should be anode to magnetron and cathode to transformer, as drawn

Reply to
anglomont

My Sharp has one in series with the mag, which I guess is the HT rectifier, and one in shunt across the HT filter cap, orientation as you suggest.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Circuit please. :)

Where is the HT filter cap?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

You've got me thinking now, Sam. The reason that I said about my Sharp, was that I had occasion to be inside it a few weeks ago. I actually have two of these - one at home, and one in one of our businesses. The business one failed, and it was the HT rectifier that had gone short circuit, and knocked out the HT fuse. I didn't take that much notice of the circuit overall. As far as I recall, the diode went straight from the HT winding on the tranny, down to one terminal on the HV cap, and I'm sure from there to the mag, but that is only from memory. There was a second diode connected directly across the HV cap. I know for sure that it was there, as I disconnected it to check it. I was just thinking standard half wave rectifier circuit - one diode, one cap. I didn't really even consider why that other diode was there. But now I do stop to think about it, that isn't 'normal', is it ? Usually, the cap is connected to the tranny, and the rectifier is in shunt, and produces negative HT to the filament / cathode, the anode being grounded to the other side of the HT winding ... I suppose if you think about it that way round, and then put it down on paper 'conventionally', it amounts to the same thing. It's just the way that the circuit is usually drawn that makes it seem something different. A bit like getting your head around PNP transistors connected upside down into a 'positive up' circuit.

In the next couple of weeks, I am going to be scrapping my one at home, as part of a rebuild of my kitchen. It has always been an 'uncontrollable' piece of crap, far too powerful to be of any use, anyway, so I shall be glad to see the back of it. Before it goes, I will take another look, and see just what they have done in there, circuitry-wise.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

anglomont

Don't microwaves use a voltage doubler circuit for the high voltage? Mike

Reply to
amdx