DATAMAN s4 eprom programmer , looking for GAL adaptor...

Hi guys. I'm a student, and i'm entering the world of the chip programming. I have acquired a dataman s4, and i would like to use some pal and gal chip. I know that an adaptor it's needed, but anyone that own it know if it's possible to build this ? Anyone know this or have some schematics? Thank you so much from europe!

Reply to
Jps

Have you tried their website? They use to have a listing of all the adapters AND the wiring of those adapters, so you could make one yourself.

Reply to
WangoTango

Yes i have asked too , but they don't give wiring or other! And unfortunately i can't afford to buy this!

Reply to
Jps

I don't think that is correct. I've had an S4 for years and don't remember them making the plans for an adapter, to make it yourself, available.

Many of their adapters aren't just socket changers, many are multi-layered and have some onboard logic.

I think the pricing is fair for them although some do get kind of expensive. Just amazes me they keep supporting that thing (S4) being it's been out for like 15 years now.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Sure they did, my 48XP manual even makes note of it, I went and looked again. Even their on-line manual says they have it available for download, but I couldn't find a current link on the site.

Yes, and the active sockets are not included in the list they had available. The list is basically a programmer pin X goes to adapter socket pin y kind of thing. I may just be losing my mind, but I am sure it WAS there. How about a quick call to Dataman and ask?

Reply to
WangoTango

I just dropped them a line and just asked. They don't have an official S4 list, but they do have some of their adapter pin outs in the XP/UXP download directory.

All you need to so is look up what adapter you need for the S4 and see if that part number is listed in the adaptor list PDF. If it one of the UNIV (universal) part numbers then it will work on the S4 as well as the other programmers.

Reply to
WangoTango

I dunno, maybe I'm confused.

That pdf is just for the not-common pin-to-pin compatability for prom/eprom stuff, right?

The OP was asking about the gal/pal programming, which I think with the S4 can only be done with the $300 adapter.

The adapter and how to build it isn't in that pdf or anywhere else on the site.

I found my S4 but the box of adapter modules is mia, I don't think I ever ordered the gal/pal one but there was another, I think for 68 pin MOT something or others and it was similar, wasn't just a pin adapter but like a whole new programmer built to fit into the ZIF socket on the S4.

Seems like those would be proprietary unless they decided to public domain the whole thing.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Unfortunately, i cannot afford it, it's too much for my pocket, in this way i think i will cannot program any PAL / GAL chip...any idea?

Reply to
Jps

Pick up a cheap Xeltec programmer - even the older ones could handle PAL/GAL ICs directly. The original SuperPro and later ones using the parallel port are well under $150US.

I know other inexpensive Eprom programmers can also do the job. We have five or so different manufacturers Eprom burners in our shop - a bit redundant...

John :-#)#

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson