Cutting Plexiglass (Perspex)

send these guys 1:1 scale SVG with your outlines, they'll cut them into a sheet.

they seem to have a "first order free" deal going at the moment.

Jasen Betts

As others have said, use a CO2 laser. About 40 watts or higher should do the job. They cost from about $4000 upwards, and are so useful that many hobbyists and clubs have them. It leaves a nice smooth edge on acrylic. Acrylic is one of the materials that it can cut well and safely. (e.g. Don't ask them to cut PVC, it makes acidic fumes that attack the mechanism of the machine and poison the bystanders.)

Reply to
Chris Jones

A triple chip for plastic would be your best bet.

Reply to
gray_wolf

On Aug 31, 2017, snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com wrote (in article):

When drilling plastics like plexiglass, one does it flooded with tap water, to prevent overheating amd melting into a gooey mess. Do not use oil - this will crack most plastics.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

This looks promising. I'll look into it and see what the costs are (future projects). It's a great concept, sorta like sending Gerber files to a PCB house, and they make the board to my specs.

OK, thanks for all the suggestions. I just got a response from an Ebay seller, saying that if I buy a suitable panel of his Plexiglas, he will cut into pieces of my specifications at no charge!! Can't beat a deal like that. BTW, the seller's Ebay name is seefinestore, based in New York. Don't know if he gave me a one-time deal, or if he will do this for any order, but it solves my immediate problem.

Thanks for the pointer to ponoko, I'll keep it for reference for future projects. Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Real Plexiglas normally cannot be sheared. it can be scored with a special knife and snapped off like glass cutting. It can also be machined with a router or mill. Just be sure the cutter is super sharp and keep the tool moving fast. Cutting slowly leads to heat build up and melting.

I do NOT think you can hot wire-cut acrylic. It will make a LOT of fumes and cut very slow. Acrylic has a pretty high melting point.

Just rectangles? Why would clamping be tricky? If making a lot, you clamp a sheet by the edges, and rout out the pieces, leaving a little space between parts.

My scheme, if really setting up to make a bunch, would be to set up a fence on the table saw and cut a bunch of strips the length of the Plexi sheets to match one of your dimensions. Then, stacking a bunch of these strips, cut the other dimension. That would make a lot of parts quickly.

If you need highly accurate dimensions, then the mill is the way to go.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I worked in a high-end cabinet making workshop and have used a free-hand spindle moulder before for cutting acrylic for kitchen drawer fronts etc. Just fix it to a (thick wooden) template (for the bearing to run on) with double sided tape and Bob's your uncle.

A small spindle moulder can be made using a decent router.

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Hi Dave: Laser machining is the precision way to go.

If you require a steady supply I might be able to help out as I am making some custom plexi bezels and lexan implosion shields for vintage O'scopes and automobile dashboard fascia (flexible 0.35mm & 0.50mm thick material) right now.

I have 1mm, 3mm & 6mm clear plexi on hand as well as 0.35mm and 0.50mm EVA material.

If you need custom color 'gel' film filters bonded to the EVA I have a process developed for that as well.

Ancel

Reply to
Ancel B

You can cut 3mm acrylic with a fine (eg. 80 tooth on a 10") carbide blade on a table saw. No problem- just don't push it through too fat.

Or use a CO2 laser in the 40W range with air assist.

Or use a small CNC engraver with 4-flute mill.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

A hot wire cutter will create a lip on the cut surface.

I guess it could then be sanded off?

I think the sawing approach is easier, but mind your fingers.

The last time I cut a more substantial piece of acrylic I used a mitre type of saw.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike Perkins

All of these suggestions were interesting, but when I wanted something simi lar, my local plastics stores were willing to cut them to my requirements. This worked both in White Plains NY and San Jose CA. I tried your dimensi ons on the TAP Plastics web site, and it was $10 for one, $14.90 for ten, a nd $149 for a hundred (ISTR that the onesies price was lower for walk-in se rvice, especially if you could find suitable stock in the scrap bin so you would only be charged the cutting fee). I vaguely recall that they used a band saw, but it has been more than thirty years.

Reply to
jfeng