Curtis RT 700 7" LCD TV set

Curtis brand - RT 700 - 7" LCD TV

My brother bought one for himself - one for me - for Christmas. He had his on the other night - and it got very hot. The case melted in back - before shutting off. Mine runs hot too. His was laying in his bed on a pillow as he laid there watching. It is a wonder it didn't catch fire.

I'm not going to try to repair either, as they would still be under warranty. I DOUBT the store will take them back, so we'll write to the company for further remedy.

This set sold at Best Buy for $149. They look nice and are cool - til they start screwing up. NOT WORTH IT.

Just wanted to put you all on alert - if you've seen them and considered one.

If someone makes a similar set - better in quality, I'd like to know who.................

Your suggestions?

Reply to
Radiosrfun

  1. Were cooling vents blocked by chance?
  2. Yes, very lucky there wasn't a fire...
  3. Probalby crappy design...
  4. I don't think you'll get much satisfaction from 'Curtis', but good luck--and let us know what they say.
Reply to
PeterD

I don't believe the vents were "blocked" completely - but then again, if you set it down flat on any surface, even on a shelf, the same thing would have happened. IF they knew it would get that hot, they should have made the base a bit higher and add some vents. Why would they make it to sit flat if that is going to happen? They shot themselves in the foot if that is the case. I don't think that set should have malfunctioned so quick regardless. I think you're probably right about the company. We shall see.

Reply to
Radiosrfun

Go to Best Buy and ask to speak to the manager (take the melted piece of garbage with you).

Reply to
Charles Schuler