Phillips TV, is repair shop ripping me off?

Hi, sorry if this is a really dumb question but my knowledge of electronics is pretty poor and here seemed like a decent place to ask the question....

My TV started turn itself off after half an hour or so. This time period slowly came down to 15 mins, 5 mins, ... 1 second, no seconds. If I leave it plugged in for a week this time period goes up.

The repair shop owner (who lives near me) came and collected it and when I explaind the problem said it was the probably transistor, like a capacitor that wasn't hold it's charge, but would charge up over a period of time. Although my knowledge of electronics is very poor this seemed pretty plausible.

Next day he phones my wife and says it's actually the "tube" (i guess he means the cathode ray tube) that's gone and the cost of repair is =A3100. He quickly follows this up with the good news that he's got another TV (same make) which is better that he could sell us for =A3135.

My wife was a bit suspicious and said she would have to speak to me first.

So my question is, does this all make sense? If the tube had gone how come a picture was visible? Does his offer to sell us another TV hint that he's trying it on?

Any help, advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Charlie

Reply to
charlieopenshaw

Sounds fishy to me! Picture tubes aren't common to go these days, & when they go, they USUALLY get weak, & gassey, or blurry over time. Now, he MAY have put an actual bad tube in it! Ask around about his reputation. Also, post the model of T.V. Dani.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Dani

I aggree that it sounds like he may be trying to rip you off. The crt would not cause that type of problem, least not that I have seen. Sounds more to me the voltage regulator may be getting heat stressed and is simply shutting down. I would tell him you are taking the set to another shop to get a second oppinion, and have them look it over to see if he did indeed switch tubes with yours. How long has this guy been in business. Also if this set is not a big set to start with, you may be better off to replace it as the shop repair will still cost at least 60 to 80 for replacement of a regulator per say. Jtt.

Reply to
James Thompson

The trader does sound a bit suspect - but OTOH there has been a flurry of comments in the trade press (Television Magazine & Technology @ Home) concerning Philips tubes of certain versions that have intermittent internal shorts that cause random shutdown. You could ask the trader if he can supply a set that doesn't contain a Philips CRT, but some manufacturers have been sticking their own labels over the ones on the dodgy tubes! You just can't win!!!

Reply to
ian field

How old is the tv set ? About 3 - 4 years ago that brand started putting defective parts in their tv sets including picture tubes .

Reply to
Ken G.

I agree it seems a bit suspect but, in the last few years crts, especially LG/Phillips tubes have been developing a G2 short that would shut the set down. In addition, some have been designed using a circuit similar to Sony's Ik line that if the screen voltage(G2) varies more than 10%, that will also cause the set to shutdown. There are ways to beat both problems but, all this being said, he might be on the level.

Tech Data

Thanks everyone for all the advice,

I'm sorry I can't give the model of the TV (it's written on the back, but in the TV shop!). If it's any help it's 27 inch and about 4 years old.

I think I'll probably just take it to another shop.

I don't think this is the case as there is definitely a pattern to the shutdown.

Thanks again.

Charlie

Tech Data wrote:

Reply to
charlieopenshaw

Sorry to ask a dumb question but...

Could you explain what a G2 short is?

Thanks

Charlie

Tech Data wrote:

Reply to
charlieopenshaw

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com skrev:

Hello, Really, I've seen a lot of newer Philips with bad tubes...sometimes one colour is missing and sometimes short like another poster told. Back in time I told people to buy a Philips to be sure they bought a decent TV-set, today I don't dare telling anyone anything. Seems like quality is down the drain... Also, many of newer Philips widescreen sets, has bad microprocessors that start to intermittently change to "EXT1" mode or refuse be remote controlled.

Good luck,

Regards Stefan

Reply to
stefan.toftevall

I spoke to the TV repair guy today myself and he said the tube was shorting.

When I asked if it was G2 short (as per another poster) he got a little upset saying that there was no name when a tube starts shorting, and started telling how he'd worked so many years at Sony, blah blah blah. I figured it was fair question.

Thanks for all the help from everyone

Charlie

snipped-for-privacy@bredband.net wrote:

Reply to
charlieopenshaw

G2 is industry nomenclature for the screen grid, one of the internal CRT parts.

Travis Jordan

It's an internal defect in the picture tube which may or may not be able to be cleared.

Reply to
James Sweet