CTC170 bizarre problem

A friend of mine was recently given a 35" Proscan with the CTC170 chassis. I've repaired a number of proscan sets but never one like this. My first impression of the chassis is that it looks like a nightmare to do anything with. Test points are poorly labeled and hard to see, and the tangled mass of wires and boards is difficult to get to.

The set has a strange problem. When you turn it on, the screen has a raster but there is no picture or sound, just blackness. Sometimes a large rectangle will appear in the upper middle of the screen which is filled with gibberish, it almost looks like static but is in various colors and sections of it occasionally flicker. User controls create no visible response aside from the LED on the front blinking to acknowledge the button press. The problem does not seem to be thermally or vibration sensitive. Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Reply to
James Sweet