Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp

Yes. That bordered on the criminal. I survived I think one and a half episodes, before deleting it from my planner ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Ab Fab was a very 'special' kind of humour that would only ever have worked with those four main characters, who sparked off each other in a unique way. I think that this is often the case for why remakes, as well as covers of classic songs, often don't work. The original story or song, is written with an actor or set of actors or singer in mind, and because of this, work well, and become classics. Often, you can hear a song or see a film for the first time, and just know that it will still be playing in 30 years time.

There are of course exceptions to this, but they are so few as to admirably prove the rule.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Again, the actual humour in Fawlty Towers was not that 'classic'. It worked so well because it was written by Cleese himself, in conjunction with Connie Booth, with whom I understand he was having a relationship. The 'supporting' actors were chosen carefully to 'fit in', and did so admirably well. Much of the individual episodes were also ad-lib'd at the time of shooting, and according to a documentary I saw about the making of it, most scenes were little - if any at all - rehearsed. Cleese said that the episodes were basically written on a week by week basis, and took on average no more than

10 minutes to conceive and structure, and produce the scripted dialogue for. So what was actually produced, is a testament to the writing, acting, and creativity skills of the main characters.

Interestingly, there was only ever 12 episodes. Everyone always thinks that there was a lot more. Prunella Scales was actually amused by it all. She said that over a very long career, she has played many many parts in TV, film and theatre, including some really 'heavyweight' parts. And yet the one thing that she is always remembered for, is her part as the long suffering wife of Basil ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Some are easily inflamed, too! ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

British

Do we have any "Vicar of Dibley" fans? Still one of my favorite shows.

Agreed. as a matter of fact I liked the show so much I named my debut CD after it ;)

Cheers!

Poly

Reply to
polymod

I suspect it took longer to come up with the anagram.

"Fawlty Towers" was a good series, but not up to the best British and American sitcoms. My favorite was "Basil the Rat" [sic], but that's probably because I like sweet li'l critters.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"Arfa Daily" wrote in news:9g1lo.186340$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.ams:

Thanks for the interesting info. I believe those 6 hrs or so are among the most brilliant stuff ever made for the idiot box in ANY country ever - and I am familiar with TV in several very different countries.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid

Feck! don't forget father ted.

--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Reply to

The Prisoner was another interesting one that I saw a documentary about. McGoohan said that he originally conceived it as a sort of 'follow on' to his character in the long running sixties series "Danger Man". However, he never really had any clear idea exactly where it was going, and in fact it took on a sort of life of its own, and started dragging him and the rest of the writers with it, to the point where he had no idea how to end it. It finally finished with the epic episode "Fallout", which I seem to recall was a 'double' over two weeks. It's funny how it has also kept its appeal across the generations. Some years back when my son was I guess probably about fourteen, they showed it again in its entirety, and he was totally riveted to it every week. This showed clearly that the story and character stood in their own right, as he had never seen or heard of the original Danger Man character.

I really have no idea why anyone should have thought that they could remake this iconic series, taking liberties with the original plotline, and setting it in Africa, with an American as the central character. The original setting of the folly village of Portmeirion in north Wales, was central to the concept, and could never be successfully changed.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

One of my favorite Benny Hill sequences was the one where he was the movie director, and the scene was a couple in a gazebo. He told them to kiss, and then told her to look down, (demurely) and say, "And what is this thing called, "love".

So: Camera....Action....And they kiss, and she looks down and says, (in a heavy cockney accent) "And what is THIS thing called, love?

Reply to
Bill Graham

H.H. ??

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

pure

Hehe...if you mean Herbie, no it's not that "Prisoner". I wish :)

Poly

Reply to
polymod

On 9/18/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

[snip]

... which was called "Secret Agent Man" over here in the U.S. Good show, very well conceived and put together, but of course lacking the surrealism that made The Prisoner so great.

David Nebenzahl

Thought that was too good to be true ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I'm dredging up this old subject from 2010 which isn't really worthy of reading since it's mostly personal attack exchanges, but the point worth mentioning* is:

Remove the 6 front panel screws AND 1 screw in the back *plus the nut on the

1/4" jack.

The reason I was looking for looking for info regarding this unit (already had it opened) is because I bought one today for $10US. I routinely open and inspect any used equipment before I apply power.. just a habit, although I usually can't resist opening new equipment either, after I've used it for a while.

A schematic is available at Galaxy Audio's site

The seller said this unit was for parts/repair, and that it had been working fine for years, then suddenly didn't.

Inspection hasn't been very thorough yet, although I didn't notice any fuses, but also didn't notice anything burnt. I saw pics of a board which had a burnt circuit trace on the large board near where the edge of the board makes an inside corner and is close to the speaker magnet.

There are a couple of spots of heat-induced discoloration around the leads of D21 & 22, but it's minor. These diodes are tied to/across the plus and minus supplies from the PSU.

In addition to the 15V supplies, there are also +/- 23V and +/- 50V supplies.

A description of the unit states it's a Class H amplifier with 4 output Qs..

2 for low voltage (always in use), and 2 for high voltage which kick in when demand exceeds the capacity of the LV pair.
--
Cheers,
WB

"David Nebenzahl"  wrote in message
>I inherited a repair job that I can't get started because I can't get the
>damn amp open.
>
> It's a Galaxy Audio Core PA5X140 all-in-one PA. It's a tough little unit,
> with a die-cast metal chassis set into a thick rugged plastic
> (polypropylene?) case, that can sit on top of a mike stand. Similar to
> this one: http://galaxyaudio.com/MSPA.jsp. The front of the chassis has 6
> screws into the case, and there's one on the back I removed, but I still
> can't get the chassis out of the case. I tried prying the case, thinking
> there might be some cast-in lugs I could open, but no luck, and I didn't
> want to risk chewing up the edge of the case.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?
>

> --
> The fashion in killing has an insouciant, flirty style this spring,
> with the flaunting of well-defined muscle, wrapped in flags.
>
> - Comment from an article on Antiwar.com (http://antiwar.com)
Reply to
Wild_Bill

When powerd on, there was definitely no output, not even the slightest tick noise. With an external speaker connected, the output appears to be normal as far as hum and crackle when the input signal line is touched.

It turns out that the 5" driver coil is open.. and examination of the face of the cone revealed that someone had altered/tampered with it before. The cone has some kinks in the pleated cone surround, and there is some significant distortion/warpage of the cone itself (although there doesn't appear to be any rubbing between the coil form and pole piece). The dust cover shows 2 distinctly different applications of black goop, and one compound appears to be RTV silicone. From the back/frame side of the cone, it appeared as though one of the eyelets was working it's way out thru the back of the cone.

I put some small dabs of paint stripper (methanol and methylene chloride) around the eyelets where the tinsel wires are soldered to the voice coil wires (beside the center dust cover). After a while I started poking around/scraping at the black goop, expecting it to have been softened by the stripper, but it was rubbery like RTV.

The dust cover appeared to have been previously replaced and seemed to be sitting fairly high above the cone, so I cut the cover away to reveal more of the area where the coil form meets the cone. After pulling quite a bit of the goop off, I located the fine voice coil wires cemented to the cone leading to the eyelets.. and found the break in the fine wire. Ohm meter check shows that the coil is likely still intact, so I may attempt to solder a jumper across the break.. just for grins. I think the eyelets in the cone need to be secured to the cone with something solid (a glue that dries hard) to ensure that they can't move.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Wild_Bill"  wrote in message

> A schematic is available at Galaxy Audio's site
> http://galaxyaudio.com/schematics.php
>
> The seller said this unit was for parts/repair, and that it had been
> working fine for years, then suddenly didn't.
>
> Inspection hasn't been very thorough yet, although I didn't notice any
> fuses, but also didn't notice anything burnt.
Reply to
Wild_Bill

After soldering jumpers (wirewrap 30ga) across the voice coil wires adjacent to the coil form, and extending to each eyelet (where the tinsel wire is joined to the coli leads in production), the driver/speaker appears to function normally.

Dabs of a hard-drying glue (Seal-All) were applied to the back side of the cone around the eyelets to try to secure them to the cone, especially the one that appeared to be pulling out the back side (which is also the same coil lead that was broken). I suspect that the loose eyelet was passing stress/movement to the very fine coil wire, leading to the break.

The center dust cover was glued back in place (Seal-All) and allowed to dry for 2 days on a mildly warm heater. I expect this is the last attempted rescue for this speaker.

A new Galaxy Audio S5N-8 replacement is on its way.. I found a large audio dealer in Kansas on eBag that accepted an offer of $49 delivery included.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Wild_Bill"  wrote in message

> It turns out that the 5" driver coil is open.. and examination of the face
> of the cone revealed that someone had altered/tampered with it before.
Reply to
Wild_Bill

Remove 6 screws from front, 1 screw and 1 nut for speaker jack on back. Get a couple of thin flat blade screwdriver to break the seal around the front metal cage to the plastic back cover. it should slide out easily.

Reply to
clifsmith33

You realize that the posting is over 5 years old right!!

Reply to
dansabrservices

te:

as

and

Get a couple of thin flat blade screwdriver to break the seal around the f ront metal cage to the plastic back cover. it should slide out easily.

I called OP David Nebenzahl. For your information sir, he's been sitting b y his computer staring at the screen for the last five years waiting for th at very answer. While he's enormously grateful, he hasn't responded publicl y with a thank you yet because he's not doing very well. It seems that in the last five years, he's ignored his health, is suffering from vitamin D d eficiency, and put on a lot of weight. He also took up smoking. But with hi s amp now open, he'll be back in form in less than two years according to h im...

Reply to
John-Del