convertiging 3.5mm to USB

People on Amazon ask some of the stupidest questions (he said, as he's about to ask one).

I"m looking at a panel-mount extension cord for a car radio with USB and

3.5mm inputs, and someone asks "could i use this to connect a usb headset to the 3.5mm headphone jack on my tv?"

And all the answers related to the fact that it uses two unconnected cables, and about converting from one jack to another, and I thought the problem was deeper than that, that there is no way to make an adapter from the audio output of a 3.5mm jack to a USB headset, because, well, it's USB! It's uses some sort of fancy USB signal, like all the other USB devices do. It doesn't have L+, R+ and ground, like earphones with round plugs on the end have. OR does it?

BTW, I use little powered Logitech USB speakers with my laptop and they get their power from the USB, and they work very well. If I'm wrong above, does the power piggyback on one of the 3 wires or does it use the fourth wire?

Tnx.

Reply to
micky

Maybe the 5th - the shield ground?

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

Goldwave

has a "Batch" conversion function. Not sure if it is available for free; I have had a licence for years.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Great. Thanks.

I have a new plan, which is to spend more money. I made it from 65 almost to 71 without running out of money, and if I up my spending , I think I'll still be okay. (Of course for me, that's only 200 or 300 a year.)

Year)

Wow, It does a lot of things. I'll probably never do anything but conversions to CDA, and only until I get a car radio that plays MP3s, but that will probably be 6 or 7 years.

There is so much interesting stuff to do. I wish I could live another

100 years.
Reply to
micky

BTW, "batch" is the word I should have been looking for. It's not like I don't know the word from IBM mainframes going back to 1977.

Is it ungrateful to y ou to post that if you search on

batch conversion mp3 to cda even without the word 'free' there are 3 or more free ones. So if one works well, I have the $45 for mad-money.

Reply to
micky

Since I was pretty much wrong about the first 3 free ones, I thought I should report back:

One would think I wouldn't still be so naive. Of the first three free ones, the first is free when it allows one to convert only half of a song. For the whole thing it's $10. Still that's not bad and they let you test it first.

The second

is an online converter of one song at a time only, and though the url includes CDA and the heading is "MP3 to CDA - Free Online Converter", it has 5 choices of what to convert to, and CDA is not one of them! There is also a batch pc-based converter at the bottom of the page, but they say nothing about it until you pay $14

The third one is free

but in very small, light print at the bottom it says

Fortunately for me, clicking download didn't begin anything but download and "Learn More" is a dead link. Still, I'm a little afraid to click on the install program.

this Click Here page is not found either.

I guess I can say no to these two lines.

Another one is "Free Download"@

I will check reviews of the program. They're not great. I'll try the first one, and when that doesn't work I'll spend the $45!

Reply to
micky