Convergence/Vertical Deflection Problem for Green

Using Google, I was able to get some great advice on convergence from previous posts on this group. But I feel I have a problem that the convergence magnet rings cannot solve.

I am fixing a Samsung CT-5012V2 television. The deflection yoke was bad and I replaced it with an equivalent yoke the electronics store gave me. It's not the exact same part number, but it's either that or order an expensive yoke off the Internet. Somehow new deflection yokes are much cheaper in my country than any yoke on the Internet.

I used a cross hatch pattern bitmap and displayed it full screen on my computer and fed the video out from the computer to the TV. Its the cheapest pattern generator I have.

I got the convergence on the vertical lines almost perfect. The problem is with the horizontal lines on the cross hatch pattern. The convergence is good at the centre, but near the top and the bottom of the picture, the green separates from the red and blue and moves closer to the top and bottom of the screen. The red and blue cnvergence remains good for the whole picture.

It appears that there is a greater vertical deflection for the green than the red or blue. The green moves closer to the top and bottom of the picture while the red and blue remains together. The rings at the back of the tube cannot solve this. I determined through experimentation that the centre pair adjusts the red and blue relative to each other and the back pair adjusts the position of both the red and blue. They do not affect the green.

Does anyone have a clue on how to solve this?

Reply to
Andy

kip

I was thinking that the yoke is the only item left that can cause this, but I cannot think of a reason why? Why would a yoke cause a greater vertical deflection on the green and not the same vertical deflection on other two electron beams? How is this possible?

kip wrote:

Reply to
Andy

It could also be the placement of the yoke, dynamic convergence is adjusted by tilting the yoke slightly. Static convergence (same error everywhere on the screen) is adjusted by turning the premagnetised rings on the neck behind the yoke.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

   Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

Yes, I learnt about dynamic convergence from searches of previous posts on this group, and tried it already.

The vertical lines on the cross hatch pattern converge almost perfectly from my adjustments. This should mean that I have the yoke positioned correctly.

The horizontal lines on the cross hatch pattern have almost perfect convergence only for the red and blue. The green horizontal line separates as it goes closer to the top and bottom of the screen. Tilting the yoke does not help correct this.

On only logical explanation I can think of is that the vertical deflection is greater for the green beam than for the others. I just don't understand how this is possible.

I noticed some additional metal components on the replacement yoke that is not present on the original. Since I have nothing to lose, I will try removing or adjusting them.

Reply to
Andy

I got the yoke! I made a great effort and checked out a lot other places and finally found it at a small repair shop I didn't know existed until now. It's the same as the original, with the exact same part number - and it even cost cheaper than the first yoke I bought. I will try it out tonight and post if it works.

Reply to
Andy

Scrap that. I just found the correct yoke with the exact part number. Will be trying out the new yoke.

Reply to
Andy

FIXED! Within minutes after setting the purity, a few quick turns on the rings and I could get the cross hatch lined up pretty good. Of course I still need a few more hours to get it perfect.

So the problem was the wrong yoke. I guess I need to be a Physics genius to know why that first yoke gave that behaviour. Maybe it was designed for a tube where the electron guns are arranged differently.

I'll have to absorb the cost of the new yoke since it was my mistake, but I learnt so much from the experience, it feel it's worth it. Plus, the cost of the two yokes was still less than half of what it could have cost if I bought it on the Internet.

Reply to
Andy