Component manufacturer logo "DW" in ellipse?

Greetings, group. I just got a board plopped on my bench with diodes from a manufacturer I don't recognize. Logo is "DW" inside an ellipse, with the "D" sans-serif upper-case and the "W" script upper-case. Anyone recognize that?

I'm tempted to guess Daewoo, but their logo is completely different.

Oh, and the part has part number DUF860. Googling this gives 2000 hits, none relevant. Googling (DUF860 diode) gives nothing.

Package is TO-220 with chopped-short center pin, and diode symbol printed under part number with cathode on left.

I've looked at 5 different "logos" sites, but no match. Stumped.

--
Robbie Hatley
lonewolf [at] well [dot] com

Might be close or the same.

Reply to
tm

That's just a search page, and it returns no actual hits for a "Microsemi UF860" (assuming that such a part even exists, which is doubtful). It's just a generated (failed) search attempt from a previous user, not an actual source of information. (Hint: all the websites with "datasheet" in their name are advertising for unrelated junk. Best to filter those out of your google searches, they just waste time.)

Googling just "UF860" yields:

which has an xref chart stating that a good xref for "UF860" (manu unspecified) is "Microsemi SD120UF600X60". However, I see no evidence on the web or on vendor web sites (eg, Digikey) of the existence of such a part.

Good guess that "DUF860" stands for "Diode, Ultra-Fast-recovery". The "8" and "6" might indicate 80A, 600V or 60A, 800V. Or they may have no meaning whatsoever, and the actual values could be

10A @ 900V or 35A @ 150V or whatever.

Looks like I'm going to have to intuit from reverse-engineering what the current and voltage ratings are, unless I can find what company "DW" is and get the data sheet from their web site. (Once I find the V/I ratings, easy enough to get suitable replacement from Vishay or whoever.)

Hence the original question:

Who has logo "DW" in ellipse, D upper-case sans-serif, W upper-case script?

--
Robbie Hatley
lonewolf [at] well [dot] com

MUR860. ??

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I would suspect it's house marked. The MUR860 looks alot like your description :

Like they have the MUR and RURP, but there appears to be no difference at all. Sometimes it's an insulated tab, providing it's metal, or may indicate an all plastic case, but it doesn't say so here. The P really does seem like it should mean plastic case but it is not on the datasheet so I assume not.

Actually I have dispensed with dealing with most part numbers. You can get half an idea what frequency it runs at, then the output filter on that leg of the power supply can give you the approximate voltage. Also, the value of the filter can allude to the approximate current drain on the leg. Something pulling 3mA does not quite warrant an

8.600 uf......

All in all, if you're looking or a manufacturer out of curiousity that is one thing, not that you'll find it. It's like Sharp taking an IC and having it labelled RihX-4462-01ceZZ* when it is a friggin LM356. Or Samsung with their KA numbers. (*that is not a real number, I just made it up)

Reverse engineering is your friend. Look at the link real quick and look at the circuit, most likely you have a replacement in an MUR, if not I can find diodes that can replace almost ANYTHING in a TO220 case. Can't say zzactly what they might cost..........

Jeff Urban

Yes, that would explain it. Some reseller brand. Like, buying a bike marked "Schiwin"... but they haven't actually *made* bikes in decades, it's actually some damn company in Taiwan, Korea, or China, named "Kwang Lu Chin" or some such thing.

8A 600V? Yep, that sounds very reasonable. (This circuit uses +400VDC power supply, pulsed through MOSFETs to an eddy current brake, to provide braking in a mechanical system. One of the mystery diodes is used with cathode to switch point and anode to ground, to eat the negative inductive spikes each time the MOSFETs turn off.)

And on looking at some data sheets, seems that "860" in diode part numbers generally does mean 8A 600V.

These days, seems most of the world's electronics are made by Vishay (China). Plus side, any parts you want, cheap. Down side, all the mfg jobs are now in China. (Communist worker drones, $0.65/hr, 16hr/day, 6 days/wk. American workers can compete with that. The phrase "Silicon Valley" now means Shenzhen, Guang Dong, China. Sigh.)

Prolly about a buck.

Anyway, thanks for the insiteful response, I think I have a handle on what these diodes are now.

--
Cheers,
Robbie Hatley

"gregz" sez:

Yep, seems so. (See my reply to Jeff Urban.) Thanks for the reply.

--
Cheers,
Robbie Hatley

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 16:10:46 -0700, "Robbie Hatley" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Microsemi Ultra Fast Recovery Rectifiers, UF860 - UF880:

Package similar to TO-220AC UF860 --> 8A, 600V trr - 70ns max

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar