Combining two 30-amp lines?

If I want to run an appliance that needs 50 amps, is there any problem with combining two 30-amp circuits of approximately the same length, as long as the part that carries the full current is using properly-sized cable? It seems like the circuit would have a 60 amp capacity.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

No it won't. You have to de-rate the cables some if they are close, in a conduit, or, IIRC, run in parallel. The code book will tell you by how much.

NSM

problem

as

properly-sized

I suppose you could use two wires instead of one to increase your safe amqerage on your wires but I'm pretty sure you would still need to use only ONE 50 amp breaker in order to be good with wiring codes and safety.

Reply to
worldcitizen

What you want to do is against the electrical code in most places. What you need to do is to change the breaker to a 50 or 60 amps, and if the wiring is not rated for this type of capacity, you will have to run in new wires.

You should be checking in your local area about the electrical codes, and comply. If you do not comply, your home or business insurance (depending on your location), will most likely be void, if they find out that the standards are not right, and there is a hazard.

--

Jerry G.
======

 wrote in message
If I want to run an appliance that needs 50 amps, is there any problem
with combining two 30-amp circuits of approximately the same length, as
long as the part that carries the full current is using properly-sized
cable?  It seems like the circuit would have a 60 amp capacity.

Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Jerry G.

To all,

After considering the possible problems, I've decided to bite the bullet and keep it standard and simple and go with one 50 amp path. Thanks.

Reply to
yellowbirddog