coleman 400 watt power inverter

have a coleman 400 watt power inverter.

DON'T have a schematic or anything that resembles this circuit. is there anyplace I can find this?

it exploded a 100mf 16v cap. has 2 sets of 4 power MOSFETs.

2 are shorted in the same group on the same side.

ie --- A1 A2 X X

B1 B2 B3 B4

they are STP60NF06

The cap was across the fan power which apparently came from these MOSFETs

checked what I could - diodes, etc. - other things are at least not shorted - could be open

question is... what are the chances that replacing those 2 devices and the cap will solve the problem?

Reply to
bill

Wouldn't a whole new one be cheaper?

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Well, the devices are $1.01 each plus $5.85 shipping, so for $10.00 I can replace all 4 devices and fix it -- Unless someone with experience thinks there is more problems. What can I say, I'm and engineer and don't believe in throwing things away.

Reply to
bill

At that price try it and see, but order up some spare MOSFETs in case. The other thing to check are the high voltage driver transistor(s). And of course for any damage to the PCB/wiring.

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmmmm, pretty good sig!

I am in the middle of repairing a UPS that was overloaded and blew out the four output fets. It also took out a small portion of board trace. Pretty violent. I think I will put a .01 or .05 ohm resistor in series with the battery lead when I fire it up after making the repair. I'm not going to spend a lot of time fooling with this one, but like you, I hate just chucking something if I know it can be repaired. regards, tom

Reply to
t.hoehler